John Nelson
Can't open DVD shot by unknown shooter
on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:15:08 pm

Equipment:
Mac Pro 8 core
OS Snow Leopard
DVDSP
Mpeg Stremeclip

I received a dance recital shot by someone with unknown equipment. Owner wants me to exchange some dance numbers and make some copies. Unable to open it or even have it show up. I think the shooter may have used a camera that shoots using DVD's but don't know for certain.

My software is old and uses snow leopard for its' OS.

I have a MBP with current OS that will open & play the DVD. Tried to convert it using Mpeg but no luck.

All replies appreciated.

http://www.o_m_productions@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Can't open DVD shot by unknown shooter
on Jun 14, 2016 at 2:00:00 pm

Cameras don't shoot DVDs (though years ago some did record to smaller-sized discs). More likely is that the shooter had the camera output running into a DVD Recorder. Think of a VHS deck, but accepting DVDs instead. Once you are done recording one of those discs, it must be finalized in the recorder. Could be that the finalize step was skipped, so the disc is not yet playable.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:39:19 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I was thinking it may be my old OS (Snow Leopard). It does play on my MBP with El Capitan, though. Just found a ripper called handbreak and was going to try that but all my software for editing won't work on the MBP...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:52:17 pm

I missed the part of the original post that said you COULD open the DVD on another computer, sorry! Yes, HandBreak is a good option to try. You didn't mention what software you are editing with. Adobe Premiere can directly import .vob files (copy from DVD to hard drive first before import) so that might also be something to try.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:24:12 pm

Guess I'll have to open it on the MBP, copy to jump drive and work with it on the mac pro. Tried using mpeg stremeclip without success.

I'm using Final Cut Studio for editing, along with After Effects & Photoshop, all old.

Any thoughts as to why it (DVD) wouldn't get recognized with Snow Leopard or Lion?

Thanks again,
John

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:26:55 pm

Not a Mac guy, sorry. However, I've had PCs that did not by default open/play DVDs, some needed third-party DVD player software installed. So it's not a given that a computer will automatically be equipped to play DVDs I guess, though it ought to be the case! I guess the "Subject" line threw me off course earlier when I thought you couldn't open the DVD at all.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]