FORUMS: list search recent posts

Verbatim DVDs.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Schelhas
Verbatim DVDs.
on Feb 29, 2016 at 7:24:22 pm

I tried to post this last week but haven't seen it come up. So, I will try again. I tried to search this subject on Google and other sources but all the info I get is quite old. From 2008, 2010 and so forth. Hopefully someone can give me some more current thoughts.

I work in a government environment recording village and city board and commission meetings. We use JVC SR-HD1250 Blue Ray Recorders. We record onto the HDD drives and then copy onto DVD-R for broadcast and distribution. We have 2 of these machines and BOTH machines, at the same time, started presenting a problem where, during the dubbing process, they would shut down and reboot. They would get to about 54% and shut down or say Completed and not actually finalize and complete. I have tried to contact JVC for assistance but they wouldn't return my calls. The machines will record fine on the HDD but will not duplicate to the DVD-R.

In trying to troubleshoot this on my own, I have tried everything and was at a total loss until I tried one last thing. We were using Verbatim AZO DVD-R discs. As a final desperate act, I took some Verbatim DataLife Plus DVD-Rs that I had in my desk and tried to use those. I am now on my 3rd meeting and all those have been working fine. Does anyone see anything logical about this. Could it be that the AZO dvds are bad and would cause this behavior?

Something else, maybe related, I have tried to use the AZO DVD-Rs in another DVD Recorder and in a DVD Duplicator and I have been getting a lot of errors. When I look at the tracks on the discs, I can see shiny spots on them as though nothing is recorded. Like when there is a smudge or dust that casts a shadow during burning. Also, DVDs that seem to have burned won't process in my macbook. They show errors that they are skipping over bad areas. Also, my softwares, (Handbrake, Wondershare Ultimate, Toast Titanium) keep rejecting the dvds and won't duplicate them. Again, this is with the AZO dvds. However, It appears, at this time, that the DataLife Plus DVDs that I got at BH PHOTO seem to be working fine.

Any input, confirmation or common sense that would support or even reject my findings would be useful. Is there a difference between the AZO and the Datalife Plus DVDs? and, would the AZO dvds, if they are faulty, cause behavior like I have been seeing in the JVC SR-HD1250s. Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Verbatim DVDs.
on Mar 1, 2016 at 3:17:01 pm

"When I look at the tracks on the discs, I can see shiny spots on them as though nothing is recorded."

I know exactly what you are referring to - had that happen several years ago, was simply a bad batch of discs! Throw them out (or try to get a refund) and get a new batch.

Taiyo Yuden later became my go-to brand, always highly recommended as "the best". JVC bought Taiyo Yuden a couple years back so you may see them branded as JVC or JVC/Taiyo Yuden now.

Over the years, Verbatim DVDs have given very inconsistent performance for me and in fact if you use software that reads the manufacturer code, they apparently will buy from multiple sources, so you don't know what you are getting. One time, I bought two spindles at once, same SKU and packaging, but discs in the two packs were made by different companies! Neither of which was Verbatim of course...

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Digital Vision

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]