FORUMS: list search recent posts

DTS Sound Track as opposed to Dolby Digital for Blu-Ray Authoring - what software is best to use

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
neil van heerden
DTS Sound Track as opposed to Dolby Digital for Blu-Ray Authoring - what software is best to use
on Feb 10, 2016 at 9:34:24 am

Please help......

We have been Authoring DVD's and Blu-Ray masters in DOLBY (DD)DIGITAL for many years without problems, however we now need to Author the Blu-Ray masters with (DTS)Digital Theatre Sound and not (DD)

I'm using Adobe-CS6 suite, Compressor, FCP, (EN)Encore & (DSP)DVD Studio Pro, in my authoring process.

What Software or "PLUG-IN" is the best and most cost effective to use when creating (DTS) Sound Track as opposed to (DD)?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: DTS Sound Track as opposed to Dolby Digital for Blu-Ray Authoring - what software is best to use
on Feb 10, 2016 at 9:37:20 pm

Neil,
Encore is capable to author DTS HD Master Audio. you´ll hear it during the authoring-process, but you can hear it on the final BD.

Are you based in NL? I´m based in germany - If you like I could give you a quote for the encoding, as I have the DTS Suite over her.

please feel free to write PM.

danny

Return to posts index

neil van heerden
Re: DTS Sound Track as opposed to Dolby Digital for Blu-Ray Authoring - what software is best to use
on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:20:20 am

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your response, I had a look in our ENCOR project Settings and it only has 2 options for audio transcoding:
1)PCM and 2) Dolby Digital.
I'm assuming there is also plug-in software that I would need to purchase to enable DTS option in ENCORE?.
I know I need to purchase Plug-In software for compressor to handle DTS.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:33:18 am

Neil,
yes, you´re right - there are only transcoding-options/project-settings for PCM and AC3, but if you import a DTS HD-file, it wont be transcoded.

as I stated before: the compressor-plugin will only work with compressor 3 and only under specific mac-os-versions (10.5-10.6 as far as I remember).

It´s not worth the price.

danny

Return to posts index

neil van heerden
on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:05:58 am

Hi Danny,

It so happens that we are running OS-X ver 10.9.5 as well as Compressor ver3.5.3.
So the SureCode plug-in should work for me right?
Why do you say it is not worth the price?
I respect that you are not keen on endorsing any software becuase you offer DTS encoding as a service however, I'm based in South Africa and farming out the DTS encoding is not cost effective and also our turn around deadlines will never accomodate third party involvement.

The price I have for the Surecode proffesional Plugin, is aprox 265 Dollars.
Considering above comment of distance and turnaround time, do you think it is a good option for my sittuation?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:29:12 am

Hi again,
NO - it wont work with your setting - according to surcode system-requirements (from their website):

Mac OS X 10.6 - 10.8.5
Apple Compressor 3; Compressor 4 or higher is NOT currently supported

so it wont fit with your mac os system 10.9.5.

and according to your question why it´s not worth the price - that´s very simple:

I wouldn´t buy a software for 250$ if it could no longer been used (on newer plattforms)

I BOUGHT their decoder-plugin for several machines and got sad, as there has been no support/update for newer OSs.

my advice: don´t spend the money! look for a company that might be able to encode your audio for you (nearby).

danny

Return to posts index

neil van heerden
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:27:33 am

Hi Danny,

I 100% agree with your philosophy of not investing into dated software or hardware for exactly that reason, no backup or support, i'm just trying to cling onto an existing long term client by utilising existing systems.

This is the reality of keeping abreast with technology and regularly upgrading software and hardware, to ensure that you can provide an unlimited service to existing and future potential clients.There comes a time when sweating your assets is no longer viable because you cannot accomodate or access later version projects, thus limiting your client base.

The rality for us is that its time to upgrade all our systems.

Appreciate all you comments and input, thanks for the Chat.

Return to posts index

David Olsen
on Feb 12, 2016 at 4:56:06 pm

I haven't used DTSHD yet myself, but I've done some leg-work on it.

For Compressor, there's a plugin you can use to encode DTSHD called SurCode:
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id...

It's pretty cheap for what it is, but I think it requires you to use Compressor 3? Check their specs.

Additionally, I'd spoken with reps from DTS.com, they have encoding software they can offer as well. If what you're doing is going on to a commercial release, they might even be able to give you the encoder for free if you include their logos and such on your title's press-release. If you e-mail them directly, they can probably get you what you need.

Return to posts index

neil van heerden
on Feb 15, 2016 at 5:44:36 am

Hi David,

Yes unfortunately Surecode Compressor plugin is not an option due to older version and OS compatibility.

I will definitely make contact with DTS, their Pro-suite is pricey but perhaps we can come to some arrangement.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]