FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVDs Authored on Architect 6.0 Won't Play On Standalone Player

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Magda
DVDs Authored on Architect 6.0 Won't Play On Standalone Player
on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:58:05 pm

DVDs authored on Architect Pro 6.0 on my Vista desktop play just fine on my standalone blu-ray player connected to my TV in the living room. But DVDs authored on Architect Pro 6.0 on my new Windows 10 desktop will not play on this same standalone blu-ray player.

The standalone player is a Samsung BD-C6500, btw.

The optical burner on the new Windows 10 desktop is an LG WH16NS40 BD-RW.

I am creating the videos on my old Vista desktop using Sony Vegas Pro 12, and authoring with DVD Architect Pro 6.0 using Memorex 4.7gb DVD blanks.

I am creating the videos on the new Windows 10 desktop using Sony Vegas Pro 13, and authoring with DVD Architect Pro 6.0 using Memorex 4.7gb DVD blanks from the same cakebox bundle as the Vista-made DVDs.

Thinking it might have just been a fluke, I have burned (and wasted) 3 DVDs with the new desktop way.

Blu-ray versions of the same video play just fine, no matter which desktop (or Vegas version) I use.

Is this a Vegas Pro 13 issue? A Windows 10 issue? I can find no answers anywhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: DVDs Authored on Architect 6.0 Won't Play On Standalone Player
on Jan 14, 2016 at 7:35:26 pm

I would make sure you are on the latest builds of Vegas and DVDA.

Then maybe try some different media like Verbatim, even try burning a DVD-RW disc, or DVD-R or DVD+R. My experience with LG drives has not been that great. I have had 2 LG drives stop burning +R media correctly but burn the others fine.

Memorex is some of the worst media out there, with high error rates beyond 3.8GB. There are utilities out there that you can test your media surface quality from beginning to end.

Return to posts index

James Magda
Re: DVDs Authored on Architect 6.0 Won't Play On Standalone Player
on Jan 15, 2016 at 2:38:11 pm

There is only one build of Vegas Pro 13 and DVDA Pro 6.0.

The media I was using (DVD-R) was all from the same brand - even from the same cakebox/batch. The media worked on the Vista, but not on the Windows 10 desktop. Wouldn't that eliminate media as the culprit?

I tried burning to a DVD-RW - same thing: wouldn't play on the standalone player.

I have two LG Blu-ray burners in my Vista desktop - those are the ones that are burning the discs that play perfectly on my Samsung player. Never had an issue with LG.

I've read many comments like that about Memorex, but I've been burning Memorex blu-rays and DVDs for customers since 2011, with no issues until I switched desktops.

I have run a surface scan test and a transfer rate test on one of the Memorex DVDs in question that won't play on the standalone Samsung player; it found no errors - the disc checked out with a clean bill of health.

Last night I found the solution. It was what I suspected first but didn't check it out first, because I assumed the company who built my new desktop made sure each component was up-to-date with its firmware, because that's what I always do when I install any new components. Never assume. It turned out to be the LG burner simply needed a firmware update. I updated it from 1.0 to 1.01, and burned a new DVD - works like a champ on the standalone Samsung player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]