FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Authorizing with Best Success Rate

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Hengehold
DVD Authorizing with Best Success Rate
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:48:04 pm

Hello, I am a first time blogger so please bear with me, Is there a way to create a DVD/Blu-Ray with titles and menus, that can play in any Media Player?
I have a full length (2 hour) feature. Here is what I have tried/ my process'.

From Premier Pro CC (2014) I exported a ProRes 444, 1920 x 1080. The File is a 240Gb .mov.
I then Import it into Encore CS6 and burn directly to DVD or Blu-Ray.
The Blu-Rays play in most everything I have tried but the DVD's have a %60 success rate from Player to Player.

I can't seem to find a reliable way, It is highly embarrassing to show up to a client meeting and have the DVD that just worked on my DVD player fail in front of everyone. Please help!

-With Gratitude, Eric

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: DVD Authorizing with Best Success Rate
on Jun 24, 2015 at 7:58:28 pm

Hi Eric,

If you're DVDs only play in every other player, something is very wrong, as you should have virtually 100% success these days. I send out many hundreds of event DVDs each year with practically no issues.

Either something wrong in the authoring process, or you're using cheap media - I would blame the latter usually.

Also, you might save yourself some time, and a LOT of hard drive space, and export to either H.264 Blu-ray or MPEG-2 DVD formats directly from Premiere, and you will have Encore-ready assets. Why encode twice? And 444 is severe overkill realizing that Blu-ray and DVD use 4:2:0 color at a very high compression rate.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Eric Hengehold
on Jun 26, 2015 at 7:55:52 pm

First off thank you so much for responding. Im burning to Verbatim dvd and blu-rays. I will try a MPEG2. Should it be a MPEG2 dvd or MPEG2 blu-ray or A custom high resloution regular MPEG2. Once I import the MPEG into Encore does it need to be trancoded?
-Eric

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:24:29 pm

Hi Eric,

To be DVD-compliant, the file you export MUST BE the "MPEG-2 DVD" format. Regular MPEG-2 would need to be transcoded.

For Blu-ray, you can use the "H.264 Blu-ray" or "MPEG-2 Blu-ray" presets. Again, other H.264 or MPEG-2 formats are not Blu-ray-compliant, and therefore would need to be transcoded in Encore.

So, choose the correct FORMAT, then below that, the PRESET that best fits the source, for instance if I start with 1080i footage, for the DVD I choose "NTSC DV Widescreen high quality" preset, and the only thing I will be changing in all the settings in the BIT RATE, depending on program length, to make sure it will fit the DVD.

A rule of thumb is 560/minutes=bitrate, and round down a touch for safety margin, otherwise use a bitrate calculator such as http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php although you must be careful about what numbers you punch in, one little mistake throws off the whole formula.

As long as the video clip you bring into Encore is compliant, it should NOT need to Transcode. If the audio from export is .wav, that will by default transcode to Dolby AC3 in Encore, and that is very quick.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]