FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can AVCHD Be Burned To Blu-Ray Instead of DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Len Campbell
Can AVCHD Be Burned To Blu-Ray Instead of DVD?
on May 9, 2015 at 12:26:36 am

My research into this issue seems to suggest that AVCHD is meant ONLY to be burned on DVDs. In fact, the burning choices on the burning software (CyberLink Media Suite 10 - light edition) that came with my LG BE14NU40 external USB3 Blu-ray burner ONLY allows AVCHD to be burned onto a DVD.

However, the burning software that came with my Sony HDR-PJ340 camcorder (PlayMemories) has a separate pre-set for AVCHD DVDs AND a Blu-ray preset that is further broken down as follows:

Select a Blu-ray Disc type.

( ) Create an HD (60i/24p) Blu-ray Disc
Create a disc that plays on most standard Blu-ray Disc players.
Notes:
-Videos recorded in 3D mode will be converted to 2D HD 1920 x 1080 (60i) before being recorded.
-Videos recorded in PS mode will be converted to HD 1920 x 1080 (60i) before being recorded.
-Videos recorded in MP4 format will be converted to HD (60i) before being recorded.

( ) Create an HD 3D or HD (60p) Blu-ray Disc
Create a disc that plays on Blu-ray Disc players that support AVCHD format Ver. 2.0.

Note
Only videos recorded in 3D or PS mode can be used.

My Sony camcorder’s media setting is set for the highest quality - AVCHD 60p PS and the files exported from it are .m2ts.

It would appear that using Sony’s PlayMemories burning software should create AVCHD Blu-rays which would work on AVCHD Blu-ray players and on Sony PlayStation 3. There is little information in the Help & Support sections of the PlayMemories website. Also, although the AVCHD appeared to burn successfully using PlayMemoroes onto a Blu-ray, a Sony Playstation 3 I tried did not recognize the Blu-ray disc (although I could see icons for the videos on the TV Monitor – but the videos would not play.)

I also note that Sony’s support webpage on AVCHD appears to say that I cannot create AVCHD on Blu-ray:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=810&mdl=HDRCX160B

5. An AVCHD disc cannot be created with the same picture quality when a movie is recorded in [HD PS] (28Mbps) or [HD FX] (24Mbps) mode. Blu-ray Disc media cannot be created with the same picture quality when a movie is recorded in [HD PS] (28Mbps) mode. Using the PMB software, the bit-rate can be converted when creating a disc.

In summeary, I am shooting the Sony camcorder at its highest quality settings and Sony seems to suggest on its website that I cannot make an AVCHD Blu-ray disc (despite the AVCHD preset on Sony’s PlayMemories software).

Any comments are very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]