FORUMS: list search recent posts

What burned DVD type will play on DVD player?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael P. Adamo
What burned DVD type will play on DVD player?
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:03:10 pm

Hi all, my question relates to burning Quicktime .mov video files to a DVD that will play on a DVD player.

I am editing a feature length documentary and I want to burn a few screener copies. I have a macbook pro that is capable of burning, and I have DVD-R type disks. Will this type of DVD work in a player or is there another type that I would need? Can I burn using the Finder (drag drop the video files in the DVD folder and select burn) or is there a program I would need to do so?

Thanks,

Michael Adamo
Animation & Design

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
Re: What burned DVD type will play on DVD player?
on Apr 10, 2015 at 11:38:05 am

You need to use a disc authoring program like Encore do create a disc that will play in a DVD player. Putting a QuickTime file on a DVD-R disc won't work.

As far as media type, a DVD-R disc will work well. However, if you need to go to a dual-layer disc, those that you burn yourself are highly problematic, and you can expect lots of problems getting them to play in a DVD player. And dealing with setting the layer break in a DVD-DL has lots of issues in Encore.

Return to posts index

Michael P. Adamo
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:43:59 pm

Thanks for your message James,

I searched for a version of Encore, but it seems to be discontinued for Adobe CC, I also know iDVD is no longer included in the iLife Suite. I'm not looking for anything complicated, but just something that is able to make a playable DVD so I may show it to a few people and possibly enter it in a film festival. I did a search and came across this free software for Mac called "Burn" - http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Do you think something like this could work? It seems easy enough to use.

Thanks,

Michael Adamo
Animation & Design

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:54:58 pm

Hi Michael,

It looks like that BURN software does simple DVD authoring, and that might be ideal for you as you probably don't need to deal with the learning curve of Encore just to burn a screener.

That said, Premiere CC users can download, install and use Encore CS6 - http://creativeclouduser.com/how-to-install-encore-with-creative-cloud/

DVD-R or DVD+R 4.7GB media should both work fine in most any DVD player these days, assuming it is correctly authored to meet "DVD-legal" specs. As others mentioned, can't just burn video clips as DATA, disc must be fully authored, so you end up with a VIDEO_TS folder which contains .vob files and other goodies laid out such that DVD players can handle them.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]