FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD-9 and CSS Playback Problems on Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gansen
DVD-9 and CSS Playback Problems on Mac
on Mar 19, 2015 at 12:19:37 pm

Has anyone heard of a problem with Macs being able to play DVDs? I was told at first, it was because I encrypted the DVDs with CSS, then I was told it was because I used DVD-9s. Which is it and is there a workaround?

Thank you

Jeffrey Gansen
http://www.worldwideeffects.com

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD-9 and CSS Playback Problems on Mac
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:44:40 pm

Jeffrey,

Apple DVD player is not the most compatible with the DVD Spec, but it should play most correctly authored DVDs. However, the primary test for compatibility is whether the DVD will play correctly in a hardware DVD player.

Are we talking about a burned DVD-9 (DVD+R9)? If so, I see several issues. You used CSS, which changes the project build to have 2054-bit sectors. Burned DVDs use 2048-bit sectors. CSS does not work on burned DVDs. Also, burned DVD-9s are notoriously difficult to read if the laser diode in the player is even slightly weak. (Apple superdrives are notorious for the lasers going bad.) A third issue could be that prosumer authoring software often does not set the layer break correctly on burned DVDs.

If this is a replicated DVD, you should be having none of these issues. You might want to pursue this with the replicator.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gansen
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:55:25 pm

Thank you for the reply!

I can't answer the DVD+R9 question. I create the DVDs on a DVD+R9, send the master to a company that duplicates them for us. They instructed me to not put any copy protection on my end, they do it for us (I'm using Encore CS6). Do you recommend continuing to use DVD+R9s as masters?

The DVDs in question did play on a DVD player. I'm leaning towards that this is an isolated incident where the Mac is having problems or the DVDs are corrupt. But, there is no way I can test this.

Jeffrey Gansen
http://www.worldwideeffects.com

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:39:45 pm

If the data side of your DVDs is purple, the duplication company made burned DVDs. If they are silver, then you have replicated DVDs. Note that DVDs replicated from burned discs do not have 100% compatibility with players -- the compatibility will be equal to that of the burned DVD master. Also, you cannot put CSS onto burned DVDs.

Some replicators are set-up to replicate using burned DVDs as masters. We do not use this method, prefering to send a disc image or Plant Direct transfer, which produces a replicated DVD with maximum player compatibility.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]