FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Prores 422 to Mpgeg2 conversion formula?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned MacFadden
Apple Prores 422 to Mpgeg2 conversion formula?
on Feb 28, 2015 at 9:27:52 pm

I have a very lengthy video (4.5 hours) I need to burn to dvd. My plan is to break the video into segments and export each segment using apple prores 422. Each exported segment would then be burned to its own DVD. I am planning on seeing if I can dust off an old mac that has idvd in order to author the video. IDVD will convert the prores to mgeg2. What I want to know is how long of a prores segment can I get onto a DVD? For example- does 20gb or prores = x gb of mgeg. I want to figure out in advance what the lengths of my segments can be. Or, is there another way I should be thinking?

Thank you for your time,
Ned

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Apple Prores 422 to Mpgeg2 conversion formula?
on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:07:44 pm

Here is a bitrate calculator that I've been using for years to determine exactly what you want to know.

http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

The comparison between the size of your prores files to the converted MPEG2 files will depend greatly upon the length of your final DVD encode. Once you know that, you can jockey the figures to figure out the exact transcode settings to apply.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Ned MacFadden
Re: Apple Prores 422 to Mpgeg2 conversion formula?
on Mar 1, 2015 at 2:11:35 am

Thank you so much, this is perfect!
(sorry for all of the typos- with this interface I can barely see what I am typing- must be time for glasses :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]