FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning DVD with movie longer than 120 min

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Burning DVD with movie longer than 120 min
on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:09:57 am
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Jan 26, 2015 at 6:49:22 am

I want to burn a DVD with a VIDEO_TS folder I have of a ripped movie (it's under 4GB). I know recordable DVDs can fit movies longer than what they say (120 minutes) but I wasn't sure how much longer before the quality of the movie degrades. Can I put a 130 minute movie on a DVD+R with the same quality as if it were under 120 minutes? I'm using DVD Studio Pro 4.

Also, would the quality be any better if I put the movie on a dual layered DVD? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Burning DVD with movie longer than 120 min
on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:23:56 pm

The minutes thing on blank DVD media is just advertising, there is no 120 minute "limit" on the disc. Lower the bitrate and put 3 hours or more on the disc if you want. The quality will suffer, but can be done.

Since your DVD material is ripped from a completed DVD, there is no way to "increase" the quality - the content is already compressed. Just BURN to disc. However, you cannot just burn the VIDEO_TS as "Data", or the resulting disc will NOT play in a stand-along DVD player. To be "DVD-compliant", you must burn as "DVD Video". The tracks are laid out differently, flags set, to make it a "DVD Video compliant" disc.

I work on PC so can't say what options your software offers. For PC, there are FREE programs such as ImgBurn or BurnAware for instance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]