FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Pro DVD Authoring Software Nowadays?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jc Todd
Best Pro DVD Authoring Software Nowadays?
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:02:13 am

Hello CC community!

My company is looking to create DVDs for a large curriculum we've created. I'm looking for the best DVD authoring software available today.
We edit on FCP X. We'll compress using either Compressor or Squeeze. We're an all Mac office.
Our need is for a fully customized DVD: menus, sub-menus, custom graphics, etc.

We do have DVD Studio Pro, but like most of the old FCP suite, it works in a funky way on the new Mac OS. We'd like to have software that's still supported and updated (if that's even possible).

Anything out there?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Best Pro DVD Authoring Software Nowadays?
on Jan 7, 2015 at 12:42:25 am

Hi JC,

Not much out there on the Mac side, I'm afraid. I believe you can still download Adobe Encore, but that software is also E-O-L.

If you are an all-Mac house and you have expertise in DVDSP, I would seriously consider configuring one or more Mac workstations with OS-X 10.6, using these as dedicated DVD authoring workstations. There are enough people with DVDSP experience that you should be able to find answers to whatever issues you encounter.

There are more options on the PC side should you decide to go that route. We do editing and DVD production on both PCs and Macs, passing data between them all the time.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 8, 2015 at 12:16:17 pm

What about BitVice, that's Mac only I believe. I've been using it for years to encode my SD and HD footage for DVD, and, the downscale is superb.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Mar 22, 2015 at 1:28:03 pm

What about Roxio Toast?
On my Mac, I burn DVD & Blu Ray using DVD Architect 6.0 via Bootcamp

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 22, 2015 at 8:28:39 pm

I find that BitVice gives me the best DVD quality, both from SD and HD material. The downscaling from HD is first class as well as being fast.

I use Toast Pro 11 to burn the DVD's, also the same software to encode and burn BD's, with a stand alone Lacie BD Burner / Player. The problem is going to be for me that BitVice probably won't run with the new Mac OS Yosemite, I'll have to wait and see. What do Encore users think of the encoding in that?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Danny Gadd
on Oct 25, 2015 at 3:58:01 pm

Hi Michael - I stumbled upon your message regarding BitVice and I'm wondering if you know where I can purchase a copy of the application. I've gone into the innobits website and it doesn't seem that the application is being sold any more. I appreciate any suggestions you may have in finding a copy to purchase. Danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 25, 2015 at 10:07:13 pm

Danny, I fear that BitVice may not still be available but why not telephone the guy in Sweden that developed it with Innobits? His name is Roger Andersson and I have two numbers 004 660 667 060 and 004 670 977 8794 and there is an E Mail address at innobitsroger@fastmail.us all these details may well be out of date but are worth trying.

There are of course many other applications for encoding DVD's but I still use BitVice as I find that the discs it has encoded are really good. Most people seem to use Media Encoder but that only comes with the Adobe Premiere Pro which I don't use. Encore also seems to be well used.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Danny Gadd
on Oct 26, 2015 at 1:03:28 am

Hi Michael -

Thank you for your quick response and the information. I was able to download the free demo and was quite impressed with the final product. Unfortunately, it has a nice logo over the top of the image. I will definitely try to contact them and see if BitVice is still available. Thanks again.

Danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]