FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD quality when burned vs when purchased??

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Francis
DVD quality when burned vs when purchased??
on Jan 3, 2015 at 3:25:51 pm

Could someone please explain to me why I put a store bought Standard (Not Blu-Ray) DVD in my computer, the image is crisp and clear and perfect full screen. Looks like HD to me. When I burn my own standard DVD from a video file that looks just as sharp and just as high resolution as the store-bought DVD and then play it back, it looks like absolute crap! If NO standard DVD can record at anything above 720X480 NSTC, then how do Store Bought DVDs have such great quality on a 1920 X1080 screen while a DVD I burn (No matter what software I use or what settings I use has only a fraction of the original quality of the source file and looks about as good as an old worn VHS tape when viewed full screen on the same monitor. Makes me believe that there is one set of DVD authoring software for commercial applications, and another for the general public. Can anyone explain the disparity to me?

I have spent hours searching the web for the secret of burning a DVD that looks as good as a store-bought DVD (assuming I have High Quality, HD footage to start with...which I do) and can't even find people asking this obvious question.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD quality when burned vs when purchased??
on Jan 12, 2015 at 4:25:16 am

DVDs you purchase were probably encoded and authored by highly trained professionals who have been doing their jobs day in and day out for many years with very high end equipment and techniques..... Don't expect to match that kind of quality.

What is your workflow? Maybe there's an issue there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]