FORUMS: list search recent posts

Professional Authoring - Which software to use?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Gerges
Professional Authoring - Which software to use?
on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:20:56 am

I was asked in producing a professional DVD Authoring (for a local movie)... back in the days I was used to work either with DVD Studio Pro or Adobe Encore... both of them seem to have died a silent death ? I know it is possible to install Encore through the creative suite 6 (or something)...

The thing is I always had issues with poor quality of encoding in both (knowing that an HD movie will never look as good on a DVD in SD) so my question would be:

What might be the easiest and best (quality wise) solution to do a proper encoding / authoring knowing i know how to use both softwares ?

Any advice greatly welcome !

Steve

Return to posts index

Oki Pienandoro
Re: Professional Authoring - Which software to use?
on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:10:25 am
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:11:14 am

Not much actually.

If your source file is in HD, don't forget to activate the "Use Maximum Render Quality". What this option do is to use a different algorithm to a better scaled down, with the expense of slightly longer encoding time.

The second one is to put the Quality video slider much higher.
In AME 2014, the default value is 75. Make it higher like 90 or so.
This is the heart of MPEG encoding. Just Bing it/Google it if you want to find out more.
Putting a higher number doesn't mean you will get bigger filesize, the higher the number, the longer it took to render.

The third one is the most important one.
Calculate the maximum /average/target bitrate.
I can't wrote an explanation. Doing that will make this a very lengthy post.

The bottom line is, don't be afraid to put the bitrate to the maximum. All DVD player is capable of playing a max bitrate (9,8 Mbps). My rule of thumb is, if it's doesn't exceed my target DVD, i always put the max bitrate to maximum, and fiddle with average and minimum if i exceed my target size.
Even better, do that with bitrate calculator, there are plenty of them, just Bing it.
Take notice, you also need to calculate the other asset, not only the main video if the asset were big/plenty.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]