FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is best DVD authoring app for Mac?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Newberry
What is best DVD authoring app for Mac?
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:01:51 am

Hi

I've been a long time user of DVD Studio Pro (But not any updates release in last couple of years) and a long time ago used Adobe Audition.

I have some projects that now need DVD Authoring (been a long time!) where I need to add background images, menus and buttons etc - standard stuff.

Is Adobe Audition a good one to go back to being that it does Blu Ray authoring?

Is there something else out there?

I'm not cash rich so best option thats around the price above - but out of interest any cheap or high end options I'd be interested to know about.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
Re: What is best DVD authoring app for Mac?
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:37:07 am

There is not much for the Mac!
If you want an authoring tool that can master replicable Blu-ray discs you should install bootcamp and Windows 7 & simply buy SONY DoStudio Indie.

Other way is using Adobe Encore + Blustreak to create replicable masters.
But maybe you will end up with issues on verification state.

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:07:49 pm

Chris,
if you are about to author DVDs - apple DVD studio still is fine, it´s working on the last apple-systems 10.6-10.9

if you are looking for a good priced BD-authoring-tool then you might have a look at DVD-Logic-software.

http://www.dvd-logic.com

there´s a cheaper authoring-tool called EasyBD, which capture about 70-80% of all needs.

if you need to author BD-java or mixed/multi-angle or 3D-BDs you should buy BD-Author.

but you need to know: there is a tight learnig-curve, as these tools are spec-tools.

danny

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:13:51 pm

Just to add this,
all mentioned BD tools are PC-based.
DoStudio & BluPrint only can create BDCMF master for replication.

Andreas Gumm

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 19, 2014 at 4:28:37 am

the combination of DVD-LOgic-stuff and Blustreak Tracer CMF could easily do this as well.

And: Larry and Robin are working on PC-based BDCMF-version of tracer at the moment, I guess will be released soon.

danny

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Sep 19, 2014 at 8:36:48 am

Thank you everyone. Interesting stuff.

My issue about Windows way is two fold a) I'm not sure how to put windows on my mac via boot camp and b) it's another expense. Windows is a lot for something I'm not really keen on using.

I'll take a proper look into all the options and take it from there

Thank you every one

Chris

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Sep 19, 2014 at 8:46:14 am

Hi Daniel,

is this for sure? A half year ago Larry told me that it's not much likely that they will develop a PC version.
From my point that would be really really awesome since there are a lot of great tools without BDCMF support.

If that is true, I would be the first person that orders Bluestreak for Windows.

Cheers
Andreas

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 19, 2014 at 8:43:47 pm

Hi Andreas,
yes - that´s true... but I can´t tell you how far they are with it, but it´ll come sooner or later.

haven´t talked to Larry and Robin for a while, as I´m heavily stucked in BD-works and a lot other stuff as well...

but as far as I understood: it´ll be sold under MS online-store, which means you need WIN8 or later.

danny

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Sep 19, 2014 at 9:01:38 pm

MS-Online store? Windows8? Oh god, that scares me really! ;)
I hope they will find an alternative distribution platform.

Andreas

Andreas Gumm

Return to posts index

George Knochel
on Nov 22, 2014 at 3:01:38 am
Last Edited By George Knochel on Nov 22, 2014 at 4:03:19 am

So far, nobody has mentioned Adobe Premiere Elements 13, their latest consumer Video/still editing and DVD authoring product.

I have used Premiere Elements since version 1, in 2004, to do many DVDs for relatives and friends, and it will do Blu-Ray also. All in one product, has the basics and complex types of edits for video and stills, and very good DVD authoring, with around 75 nice Menu templates, and more can be found for it by searching the internet.

The DVD authoring is easy, and does multiple menu screens and buttons, etc., -- I use both this one and Adobe Encore CS6, but this Premiere Elements is easier than Encore and enough for my needs.
Costs around $87 at Amazon, download for the Mac or PC, or choose "Platform Mac/PC" for the retail box, which has install discs for both the Mac OS X and PC Windows, and use on both computers, but not at the same time.

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Sep 7, 2016 at 9:14:57 pm

I have an upcoming DVD project, and find Encore too buggy to work with. Regarding Premiere Elements, does this allow me to create custom menus? I need to use my own graphic background and be able to set up chapters and subchapters. I would like to have button "states" that highlight when the cursor is over them.

Any thoughts on how well Premiere Elements, or an alternate program for this task? I edit in Premiere Pro, so I presume the Elements version would be easy to figure out.

Return to posts index

George Knochel
on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:24:14 pm

I just used Premiere Elements 14 for DVD authoring, of a memorial video I just finished with Final Cut Pro X on my Mac. Premiere Elements has many different types of templates. You can bring in your finished .mov or .mp4 or whatever file into Elements, then use the "Chapter Markers" to mark points on your timeline, and make each marker a DVD marker, either for the Main Menu DVD menu page, or one of your Scene Selection markers. Then also put an END marker at the end of the timeline. For each marker, you can choose the thumbnail picture or motion that you want for that marker.

Then click the bottom TOOLS button and choose DVD Menu, choose a type of template you want, and it will automatically come up with the Main Menu, plus as many Scene Selection menus as needed for all the markers that you put on the timeline. Then when you PREVIEW the MENUS, you can see that it highlights each scene selection as you move over it, either with a DVD remote or with your mouse.

And yes, many templates let you drag and drop any picture or video you want to be the background of the menu. I've used Encore years ago, but Elements is much quicker and easier to use.

Return to posts index

George Knochel
on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:25:01 pm

I just used Premiere Elements 14 for DVD authoring, of a memorial video I just finished with Final Cut Pro X on my Mac. Premiere Elements has many different types of templates. You can bring in your finished .mov or .mp4 or whatever file into Elements, then use the "Chapter Markers" to mark points on your timeline, and make each marker a DVD marker, either for the Main Menu DVD menu page, or one of your Scene Selection markers. Then also put an END marker at the end of the timeline. For each marker, you can choose the thumbnail picture or motion that you want for that marker.

Then click the bottom TOOLS button and choose DVD Menu, choose a type of template you want, and it will automatically come up with the Main Menu, plus as many Scene Selection menus as needed for all the markers that you put on the timeline. Then when you PREVIEW the MENUS, you can see that it highlights each scene selection as you move over it, either with a DVD remote or with your mouse.

And yes, many templates let you drag and drop any picture or video you want to be the background of the menu. I've used Encore years ago, but Elements is much quicker and easier to use.

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Sep 7, 2016 at 11:32:55 pm

Thanks George. I will look into Premiere Elements.

cheers,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]