FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to put my animation short-film (HD PNG Sequence + WAV file) to DVD for festival screening

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alenka Krizenecky
Best way to put my animation short-film (HD PNG Sequence + WAV file) to DVD for festival screening
on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:51:03 am

Hello there !

My animation short was selected to a festival, therefor I need to send them the DVD of my movie in HD.
For now, I have my whole movie in one HD PNG sequence (1920x1080) with the soundtrack as a WAV file.

I tried a couple of exports with Adobe media encoder CS6 to make a DVD with DVD Studio Pro. The file that I get is wether incompatible with DVDSP or it's compatible but in every case, I have a huge quality loss when I import the file to DVDSP.

My question(s) :
What export setup do you advise me to use for festival purposes and that can go on a DVD ?
What can I do differently on DVDSP to avoid such a huge quality loss ?
Do you avise to do things completely differently ?

I work on a Mac OS 10.9.3

Softwares I have on my computer:
Adobe CS6
DVD Studio Pro
Final Cut Pro

Thank you for your help :)

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: Best way to put my animation short-film (HD PNG Sequence + WAV file) to DVD for festival screening
on Aug 24, 2014 at 9:33:24 pm

[Alenka Krizenecky] "I need to send them the DVD of my movie in HD."

If you want an HD version on disc you will have to make a Blu-ray… DVD is SD. DVDSP does not make Blu-ray. Don't be fooled by the HD-DVD settings in DVDSP - that's a dead format.

If the festival will accept it, you could try exporting out of Adobe or FCP as an H.264 file and send that on a USB stick.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Best way to put my animation short-film (HD PNG Sequence + WAV file) to DVD for festival screening
on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:35:50 am

There are three things that you can do. Firstly, as Gerry says, the only HD disc is a Blu-Ray. I make these by exporting my film in the ProRes 422 HQ codec and drag the resulting QT .mov file into Titanium Toast Pro 11 which then encodes and burns a BD. I use a stand alone Lacie BD burner for this. No need to go near Studio Pro for this. The disc will look great.

You could also put the ProRes file on to a high capacity memory stick (there are some of 32 Gb's, not expensive) and send that to the festival.

You could ignore the request for HD and make a DVD using the great BitVice software for the encode. The resultant DVD will still look great, I've had DVD's made this way projected on a large cinema screen and the picture looked very good.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]