FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD video looks HORRIBLE when put on DVD through DVDSP!!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Con
HD video looks HORRIBLE when put on DVD through DVDSP!!
on Jul 25, 2014 at 4:29:59 pm

Hi,
I recently shot a video on a Sony XDCam PMW-EX3. I shot it 1920x1080i 60.
I edited it in Final Cut Pro (7) and Exported using a variety for formats: MPEG-4, H.264, Prores 4444, Prores 422, ect. All exports came out looking clear on my monitor. The footage looks exactly how it did when I filmed it. I brought it into DVDSP and burned it to a DVD. The dvd looks HORRIBLE!! So grainy and overexposed its unwatchable! Does anyone know what I can do? Please, I need someone to help me with this!

Final Cut Pro 7, iOS 6.1.6, MacPro

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: HD video looks HORRIBLE when put on DVD through DVDSP!!
on Jul 25, 2014 at 5:26:13 pm

First of all, you realize that your HD footage is being re-encoded to SD. If you are expecting a DVD to look like the original HD footage, you're starting out at a disadvantage.

I'd advise taking control of the conversion to SD by doing it yourself, instead of letting your authoring software handle that task for you.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Ben Con
on Jul 26, 2014 at 2:40:26 pm

Hey Steve
Thanks for replying!
Yes, I know. But like I said, somethings up, cause you can barely make out anything.
How can i take control of the conversion in Final Cut Pro? if so, what format, ect.? or do I need another software for that?
Do you know of any software to convert my footage that is free?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:48:39 pm
Last Edited By Steve Brame on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:51:29 pm

I don't do Macs or FCP, so as far as a free solution, someone else will have to interject.

DVDSP is automatically converting your footage to MPEG2 format, which is the DVD standard. I would imagine that DVDSP will allow you to tweak what settings it uses to do this, but again, I don't do Macs.

-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Ben Con
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:50:19 pm

Ok I've tried and still looks really bad.
Anyone got an idea??

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:03:15 am

Here is your solution. It's going to seem complicated and intimidating but once you go through the process a time or two, it becomes easier.

Even though you are going through many steps - in the end - this process is MUCH faster than letter your editing program encode, but yet the results will be pristine - yes pristine.

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/
http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2010/10/hd-to-sd-dvd-cs5-revisited/

These videos will help you set things up and get going - step by step:
http://bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=14
http://bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=12

Again, it is going to look like a big giant hassle and intimidate you but I swear you will not regret the final outcome.

David

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 2, 2014 at 9:23:47 pm

Just export your video out of FCP 7 as a self contained quicktime. The bring that into compressor. Use 90 minute best settings, and turn frame controls on. Adjust your bit rate to work best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]