FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faster DVD authoring: RAM vs SSD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian Cantor
Faster DVD authoring: RAM vs SSD
on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:06:03 pm

Hope this isn't a dumb questions:

Currently I'm running on a 2012 Summer 13" i5 MBP with 500gb HD and 8GB RAM. When I have to instantly burn footage I've just shot to a DVD, I use FCPXs instant DVD burning feature (now lets not start the fighting about better programs out there, i KNOW there is because normally I use them, but for just putting .mov's into a DVD fast, I will say FCPX is good).

Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my MBP, eventually to 16gb ram and a 500gb SSD, but am not sure which to upgrade first, as for most of my editing is not done on my MBP, but I know I will be burning DVDs frequently come August, so basically, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH IS BETTER TO UPGRADE ASAP FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BURNING DVDS FASTER??? I know the benefits of both RAM and SSD, but just don't know if either is relevant to burning DVD speeds.

Are either RAM or SSD relevant to the DVD burning speed? All my footage is shot in HD and currently I can get a 45 minute video (all .movs) onto a DVD in about 45-60 minutes (which I know is pretty good, but if possible, would like to be faster with no degradation).

Thanks!

Dorian

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Faster DVD authoring: RAM vs SSD
on Jul 13, 2014 at 3:40:48 pm

First things first, it is ALWAYS recommended to use a fast, dedicated drive for video editing, not the system drive as that has the OS and the software apps competing for access. So you can change your drive, but you still have a single drive...

On my PC, upgrading from 8GB to 16GB made a noticeable difference in the MPEG-2 encoding times, so I believe that might be the better investment to start with. More RAM is going to help every aspect of system performance overall anyway.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]