FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring a DVD with Native WMV Files?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walt Bilofsky
Authoring a DVD with Native WMV Files?
on Jul 3, 2014 at 8:25:03 pm

(This might be a stupid question, so please be gentle.) :)

I have 8 one-hour WMV videos (about 550 Mb each) that I'd like to put onto one DVD.

Is there a way to create a menu structure for the DVD while keeping the video in WMV, without transcoding? My old Blu-ray player plays WMV files so I'm hoping that such a DVD would work in some if not all players.

Alternatively, is there a way to transcode to a DVD-compliant format with the same quality? I'm using WMV9, 1080p, 24fps, 1.25 Mbps and getting a very nice image using less than 600 Mb/hour. Using Premiere Pro CS5, I have tried generating the files in a number of MP? formats, but have not been able to come close to the quality of the WMV version in the same bandwidth.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Authoring a DVD with Native WMV Files?
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:55:41 pm

Walt,
Video-DVD is specified as follow:

1.) NTSC 720x480px 29.98fps
2.) PAL (720x576)px 25fps

could be 16:9 or 4:3

nothing else is specified, so reallity will kill your illusion - sorry for that.

IF you like to keep HD-quality you should use blu-ray.

danny

Return to posts index

Walt Bilofsky
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:39:44 pm

Thanks, Danny. 720x? is not my first choice but would be acceptable. But is there a set of parameters for a compliant video format that would give good video quality at under 2 Mbps?

The videos are lectures, mostly Powerpoint still images with some footage of the lecturers with little movement. WMV seems to take advantage of that better than MPEG or H.264.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:44:20 pm

Hey Walt,
no - there is no set for parameters at 2MBit that I could advice, but if you just have static pictures it should work.

IF you would like to put your WMVs on the disc as well, you could create a DVD-ROM-folder and put all the rom-stuff like html-pages, pdfs or WMV/flash-files in it and finally burn it to the disc.

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]