FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rimage DVD Authoring Questions

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Humphrey
Rimage DVD Authoring Questions
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:31:25 pm

Hi there, I'm looking at getting a Rimage system for automating DVD authoring and I'm looking for some technical information. I've tried contacting Rimage but they seem very worried about making sure I only talk to people from the appropriate sales region and not so worried about answering my questions. I'm hoping that someone here who has a system can help me out.

First question is DVD encoding. The documentation says the system accepts all sorts of video formats. If you drop a random video file there, how is the encoding handled? What sort of options do you get?

Second, if I use something else to encode will it accept a valid DVD MPEG2 without re-compressing it? Can it accept/autodetect pairs of separate video and audio files or will it need to be muxed?

Third, does it properly handle 4:3 / 16:9 detection?

Finally, for the auto-chapter function, will it properly set chapters within one large video stream? For example if it's a two hour file can the Rimage put a chapter every five minutes and then use those on the menu for chapter selection?

If anyone out there has experience with Rimage systems I appreciate any help you can give.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: Rimage DVD Authoring Questions
on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:01:03 pm

We have several Rimage systems (Producer 7100 and Protege II) but have never used them for authoring before. We always author/encode using other tools and then use the Rimage systems to burn/print the discs. From my experience, Rimage is not very helpful. They were at one point many years ago, but they have since been bought and sold and are now part of a much larger company that has their focus on other things. The disc publishing business is no longer their focus (obviously).

I found a great local VAR many years ago and have relied on them for service, sales and support. I would see if you can find a local dealer and talk to them. They normally know their stuff really well.

I'm in the SF Bay Area if you need a recommendation for this area. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]