FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage shot HD vs SD change the DVD quality?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian Cantor
Footage shot HD vs SD change the DVD quality?
on May 15, 2014 at 11:37:51 pm

Hello,

My questions is that if I shot something in HD (either 1080p or 720p), as opposed to shooting something in SD (480i or 480p), both 16:9, will there be a difference in the quality of the DVD?

I'm aware that SD DVDs are the ones that play on most DVD players, as typically we shoot in HD, edit in FCPX with HD timeline, send to compressor which outputs our video as an SD .m2v and .ac3 (as SD 16:9 footage), and then put those into DVD Studio Pro 4 where we successfully burn our SD DVDs.

Basically, I want to know if I shoot something in SD, will transcoding it to the .m2v degrade the video quality, so that it will be inferior to the compressing of HD footage to a .m2v?

need answer ASAP!!!!

Thanks alot!!!

Dorian C

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Footage shot HD vs SD change the DVD quality?
on May 16, 2014 at 3:44:01 pm

People still shoot SD? :)

Yes.....HD has more info within the frame making the encoders job much easier and efficient. Unless it's for some broadcast specs, there really no other reason I can think of to shoot anything other then 1920x1080 23.98

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Footage shot HD vs SD change the DVD quality?
on May 18, 2014 at 11:28:53 pm

As Eric says, HD will contain more data therefore generally provide better quality picture. The rule is that the better the original the better will be the result no matter what process you put the material through. By the way, I don't regard Compressor as the best software for encoding for DVD. Without having to spend a fortune there are better encoders. Personally I use BitVice which apart from doing a brilliant encode, does a great job with the downscale from HD.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]