FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions on multiple segment project with menu

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Taylor
Suggestions on multiple segment project with menu
on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:00:29 am

I've been working for over a year on a Safety Training video for a construction company. The course consists of 12 segments of about 10 minutes each. They have since added two introductory videos pushing the total length to about 2 hours 10 minutes. I was able to fit all this on a single DVD created in Apple iDVD with a menu to select playing all the segments back to back or selecting an individual segment to start at. This was ideal, since it was all on a standard DVD that would play on most any DVD player or laptop computer in the field. Now they want to add another segment which appears to be another 10-15 minutes, bringing the total to almost 2 and a half hours, which I really don't think will fit. Besides the video quality was starting to suffer at that much video compressed onto 4.7GB disc. Now I'm trying to come up with another way to make this package. The original video is 720p HD so if I can get back to HD quality that would be great, but I don't want to go to Bluray for compatibility issues. One thought was to put it on a USB memory stick since those go well up to double digit GB if needed. If I did that I would have to come up with another way to execute the menu function. Maybe use HTML 5? They would call up the menu on the web browser and they could choose a video that way. I've put together a flash projector for something like this a long time ago, but I'm a little rusty on that and it may take too long to get up to speed to accomplish this. Is there a program for Mac similar to iDVD that will do HD vid? I looked at Toast, but doesn't seem to give me the level of menu creation I would need. What would be ideal is maybe creating and iDVD project and then making a disc image that could be put onto a USB memory stick. Any other ideas about accomplishing this? The key is making this almost foolproof for the trainers in the field presenting this video.

DT Motion Pictures
http://www.davetaylormp.com

Return to posts index

David Taylor
Re: Suggestions on multiple segment project with menu
on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:39:56 am

After this exercise of writing down my thoughts on this project, I believe the easiest solution is to go to a recordable Dual Layer DVD, which will double my capacity. Maybe put it on Professional Quality setting. I'm currently using version 7, anyone know if going up to a higher version of iDVD will improve the encoding?

DT Motion Pictures
http://www.davetaylormp.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]