FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitle transformation for Encore, DVDSP, or DVDLAB

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Hunter
Subtitle transformation for Encore, DVDSP, or DVDLAB
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:43:48 pm

I'm working on a DVD authoring project which centers around its subtitles and it's something I have not had much experience with in the past. We've been stumped what seems like should be a fairly simple question, and I hope someone out there can help!

We have a set of subtitle files for a series of DVDs which are in .rtf format with the Spruce encoding. Each disc has English and Indonesian sub tracks. What we need is to bring these into either Adobe Encore, DVD Studio Pro, or DVD-Lab Pro while preserving both the italics on certain lines AND the encoding of special characters (mostly letters with accents). They are also in PAL 25fps timings and must be converted to NTSC 30 drop frame timings.

None of our authoring programs accept the subtitles as they are, and we have yet to find any format which will allow us to keep both the italics and the accents, while also letting us re-time the subtitles to a drop frame format.

As for subtitle editing programs, we've downloaded and tried TitleExchange Pro, Subtitle Edit, Subtitle Workshop, Maestro, and a few others, but haven't found the right combo of settings and formats in any of these.

Any advice for us? We're stumped.

(If necessary, we'd be willing to pay a small amount for someone with more sophisticated software to do these re-formattings for us.)

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
Re: Subtitle transformation for Encore, DVDSP, or DVDLAB
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:36:07 pm

Open the .rtf, copy the content from .rtf to an advanced text-editor (should be capable to encode to unicode text) or just save the .rtf as an .txt file (unicode) directly. Rename the .txt to .stl & open it up now with Subtitle Edit.

Andreas

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Subtitle transformation for Encore, DVDSP, or DVDLAB
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:45:05 am

Alex,
the most compelling subtitle-programm for mac that I know is Annotation Edit from Zeitanker.com

you can convert different time-bases, tons of different formats and you can also transcribe new/existing subtitles with/on existing video-tracks.

you might have a look at it.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]