FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie External LightScribe DVD burner

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Cooper
LaCie External LightScribe DVD burner
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:02:25 pm

Hi There,
I am looking into purchasing an external DVD burner as the fancy new MacBook Pro doesn't come with one. I like the idea of a device that also writes a label directly onto the disc. However it looks like the Lacie LightScribe no longer exists and I can't seem to find another one similar. Anyone have a similar product they would recommend?

Many thanks

http://www.katiecooper.ca

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: LaCie External LightScribe DVD burner
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:26:03 pm

Hi Katie,

LightScribe never really took off - you had to buy the special (expensive) media, then actually flip the DVD over after burning in order to print it, which took quite a while.

Look for an inkjet printer that also accepts discs, such as an Epson or Canon, and use the white inkjet printable media. Be sure to use a good quality such as JVC/Taiyo Yuden. Never use sticky labels! If they are applied even slightly off center, it causes a vibration that can affect playback. Also, the heat inside the player can cause the adhesive to let go and the label starts to come off in the player. Not cool.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 6, 2014 at 12:02:23 pm

Just to add a disc brand to those mentioned by Jeff. For some years I've used Verbatim printable discs, both DVD and BD and I get a really nice print on to the white disc with an Epsom Photo P50. That's probably had an update and a name change but you'll get the idea.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Katie Cooper
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:04:04 pm

Great, thanks to both of you. We currently use an Epson printer direct to disc so we will keep that route. Would have been nice to have an all-in-one burner and label system but can't everything!

In terms of a good reliable DVD burner I am considering the Pioneer BDR-XU03 USB 3. It does BD/DVD/CD for $175 at B+H photo. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

http://www.katiecooper.ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]