FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to retrieve codec and settings info from a burned DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jinan Coulter
How to retrieve codec and settings info from a burned DVD?
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:38:11 pm

Hello,

I recently had someone burn a DVD for me of a feature length film of mine, and would like to know exactly what settings they used (codec, data rate etc). I could ask them, but they may have forgotten, so want to be sure myself.

I also have a DVD of the same film that I burned months ago, and it is much higher quality. So I'd like to be able to compare the settings to know where we've differed. I can't figure out how to retrieve this info from an already burned DVD.

I've tried importing the Video_TS files of each disc into FCP 7 and then looking up item properties (format etc), but it doesn't seem to tell me anything - and what info it does give me is the same for both discs (which I'm quiet certain can't be correct).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: How to retrieve codec and settings info from a burned DVD?
on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:20:22 pm

Mediainfo. It's a free app that will tell you EVERYTHING about ANY media file.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Jinan Coulter
on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:49:17 pm

Thanks very much, that was a great help. I downloaded it and it was just what I was after.

Return to posts index

Jinan Coulter
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:00:25 pm

Just one last question - if you happen to know:

Do you know where in the Video_TS folder I would go (and ultimately open up in MediaInfo, to find out the settings for the whole DVD itself?

I've opened all of the files and get different info for each item in the V_TS folder.

Any idea which of the below I should be looking at info for, to get the specs of the whole DVD?:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:49:34 pm

The numbered VOB files are your video files.

VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Mar 25, 2014 at 3:25:39 pm

I see you've already solved your issue and I am going to check out Mediainfo myself.

There is another way to get the parameters as well. Since you mentioned FCP7, that means you have Compressor. You can take an MPEG2 file and drop it into the "Custom Settings" area of Compressor and it will create a preset using the settings used to create that MPEG2 file. Of course you'd need to rip the files from the DVD to get them as MPEG2 instead of VOB files, but it's another way to do it without downloading anything.

Have fun!

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]