FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to assist client in burning a DVD... Simply.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Need to assist client in burning a DVD... Simply.
on Mar 7, 2014 at 11:43:21 pm

Hi there,
I have a client who would like to burn files I deliver to him (digitally) to DVD for stand-alone player playback. I always use Encore for all my DVD work. He doesn't need menus and simply wants to take videos I send him and "burn to DVD" to make auto-play DVDs. Is this possible without actually "building" a disk? If so, what's the best way to do it? I assume a muxed mpg, right?
Sending a DVD image might be too complex explaining how to burn it to disk.
Thanks!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Need to assist client in burning a DVD... Simply.
on Mar 8, 2014 at 9:56:56 pm

Hi Stephen,

To create a DVD that meets the DVD spec to be playable on set-top players, the DVD content MUST be "authored" in Encore or similar - one cannot just burn an MPEG-2 file to the DVD as "data". That may work for computer playback, but will not work in a DVD player. I think that is what you are asking.

You can certainly create an auto-play DVD in Encore with no menus. You can then BUILD as an IMAGE, rather than a DISC. This creates an .iso file on your hard drive and you could send that to the customer via Drop Box or similar. That .iso can then be easily burned with any free burning app such as ImageBurn or BurnAware for instance, creating a proper DVD. Just use the "Burn Image" feature.

The .iso file should really not be much larger than the MPEG-2 video/audio files were to start with.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
Re: Need to assist client in burning a DVD... Simply.
on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:40:58 pm

Thanks Jeff, that's what I was afraid of but I thought I had seen it done before where a simple MPG file worked. But maybe I'm mistaken or maybe it was a non-standard thing this specific player could play.

In any case, I'll see if I can explain to him how an ISO works but it might just be easier to drop disks in the mail as needed.

I appreciate your insight!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]