FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best audio track for default?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jef Huey
Best audio track for default?
on Feb 16, 2014 at 12:42:08 am

I having a small "discussion" with a company as to what the default audio track should be on a show. The choices will be Dolby Stereo, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

They push for Dolby 5.1 as they say that is standard.

That seems odd to me as there are still more stereo listeners out there than surround. And I have several devices that do not deal well with a 5.1 audio source.

Anybody care to weigh in on why 5.1 seems to be the standard?

Thanks,

Jef

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Best audio track for default?
on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:32:27 pm

Hi Jef,

What kind of show? I would agree with you that stereo is the most common audio for non-Hollywood DVDs. Unless you're putting together some really high-end concert video (that was miked/recorded to make a surround mix) or similar, then there is no point in trying to make a 5.1 Surround track.

I've produced hundreds of DVD titles over the past 14 years and have always used stereo and have never even been asked once about surround.

Most folks don't have surround at home, and even if their gear supports it, the average person doesn't have it properly set up or calibrated or would appreciate it anyway, unless they are an audiophile/home theater guru.

But it will help to know the nature of the production, and who the audience will be.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
Re: Best audio track for default?
on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:13:21 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

The show is mixed in surround by a enormously talented mixer. Plus we have done a downmix ourselves to make a stereo mix.

It is just that when comparing the stereo off of the check disc and the 5.1 being downmixed by the Dolby encoder, the stereo seems louder and therefor to some in the production group - better. So I guess I am saying I am somehow distrusting the Dolby downmix.

Jef

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]