FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone else struggling with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Smith
Anyone else struggling with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5?
on Jan 18, 2014 at 5:43:37 pm

I note that TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 is often recommended, here, by posters.

Well, it's driving me crazy! And, in the name of balance, I thought I'd just add these thoughts.

One example:
I have a TAW5 file with 5 tracks. I added a title still (jpg) to each track, each running for 10 seconds. Each title added 1.3 GB (yes, I did say GB) to the file. I reduced the jpgs to just 34 KB each, and it still added 1.3 GB with each one.
So, I took the 5 stills and imported them into Premiere Pro and made a simple sequence from which I'd select the appropriate titles.
Are you sitting comfortably??? When I added each one, the TAW5 file size REDUCED... from 7844 MB with no title sequences added, to 3257 MB with five title sequences added.
So... I now have 2 hours of high res video that will fit on nearly half a single-sided DVD, as opposed to virtually filling a double-sided one!

Caveat emptor!

Return to posts index

Andrew Smith
Re: Anyone else struggling with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5?
on Jan 19, 2014 at 5:16:56 pm

I've solved the first problem and will share it here because it might help others who face similar issues.

In one of the tracks, there was just one clip. I then created a title image in Photoshop and added it to the track. That was when adding that small image file made a 1.3 GB increase in DVD requirement!

After a good night's sleep, I investigated and noted that the clip had a resolution of 352 x 288. The added title image, however, was 720 x 576. [I was making quite a few of them for the project... and the other clips in other tracks were all 720 x 576.] I had presumed!... always a big mistake!

It would appear that adding the 720 title caused the 352 clip to upscale (i.e. presumably to match)... hence the huge, overall jump in TAW5 file size.

I redid the title image for this track at 352 x 288. Replaced the 720 one with the 352 one. No jump, this time... it just added a few KB, as you'd expect.

The answer (and this may apply to other DVD creation software) is that a track will upscale to whatever is the highest resolution clip/image.

HOWEVER, I still cannot fathom out why adding files (.m2v) makes the overall TAW5 file much smaller. I've managed to prepare a 7 hour DVD of 720 x 576 res which takes up 5% of a single-sided DVD! Bonkers!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:36:47 pm

Hi Andrew,

I've not tried that application, so maybe this is unique to it...but what is a "TAW5" file? I've never seen that before in any DVD app.

And please elaborate on having "7 hours of video on 5% of a DVD". I don't see how that's even remotely possible...DVD requires MPEG-2 video, so it's not like TMPGEnc would be using some other compression scheme to make the files smaller. I'm lost

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Andrew Smith
on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:28:20 pm

Hi Jeff!

I apologise for the confusion. The program, TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5, creates a .taw5 file from which it forms the DVD image.

As I'm sure you felt, the compression turned out to be nonsense. It was just some buggy issue. Their (very good) support said that the video clips needed re-encoding. However, this didn't fill me with confidence, so I did the project again.

From a functional pov, I think it's an excellent piece of software with remarkable features (I use Encore, too), but it needs a little bit of work to be done on it. I guess we can say much the same about most programs...

Best wishes, Andrew.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]