FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple angle video tracks not rendering equally on DVD Architect

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Almanza
Multiple angle video tracks not rendering equally on DVD Architect
on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:35:01 am

I have a DVD Architect project in which I am adding a "special features" video with multiple angles where I have two actual angles. Both were recorded at the same frame rate, dimensions, bps, etc., with the exactly similar camera model.

I have edited both cameras' footage to make one DVD, and that's the full-length video of A-Z content that is about an hour long. I decided to make A-C a separate title, just to show multiple angles and have four versions of the same footage: Camera 1, Camera 2, edited footage, and side-by-side. I have a total of 4 video events for one title. I plan on letting the video owner control what angle they can see by using their "angle" button.

The problem is that when I render the DVD, with the exception of the main video event, all the other video events in that multi-angle title have jagged lines on their frames.

This is how "regular" video should look (JPG file):
s19.postimg.org/7h7xz2tkz/triple_xv_regular_video.jpg

And this is my problem with the other tracks (JPG file):
s19.postimg.org/v6ssa12kj/triple_xv_jagged_video.jpg

Note that the problem with the jagged lines is more apparent where there is more contrast between colors in the frame (white and black, etc.)

What am I doing wrong in DVD Architect? The video files are all being rendered in 23.976 interlaced. Should I encode in a different format from Vegas?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Multiple angle video tracks not rendering equally on DVD Architect
on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:34:31 pm

Hey mate,
first of all: there is no 23.98 interlaced anywhere. NTSC interlaced is 29.98i and PAL is 25i.

I´m missing in your description the resolution + codec of the original footage. is it DV, or maybe AVCHD?!

another point: if you would like to do mixed/multi-angle-DVDs all assets needs to have the same (closed) GOP-structure and the same bitrate, no VBR is allowed, only CBR.

here are the max. bitrates for different numbers of angles:

5 angles or fewer: 8 Mbps maximum for the track’s combined bit rate
6–8 angles: 7.5 Mbps maximum for the track’s combined bit rate
9 angles: 7 Mbps maximum for the track’s combined bit rate

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Miguel Almanza
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:51:40 pm

Thank you for you response, Daniel. I think I understand your response clearly. I must clarify, then, what I wrote initially:

[Daniel Ludwig] "first of all: there is no 23.98 interlaced anywhere. NTSC interlaced is 29.98i and PAL is 25i."
You are right. I wrote interlaced but it's really 23.976 originally AND when rendered through Vegas.

[Daniel Ludwig] "I´m missing in your description the resolution + codec of the original footage. is it DV, or maybe AVCHD?!"
It was recorded with a Canon XF105, in MXF: 23.976 fps progressive, 1920x1080x32, MPEG_HD.

If you are saying that the total BR should be equal to 8 mbps, does that mean that in Vegas I should render each to a constant 2 or lower?

I now notice that in choosing the tracks in Architect, under "File"..."Optimize Disc", and looking at the MBPS for the multi-angle track, it tells me the following: "To avoid recompression, use an MPEG-2 compliant file", but I am using an MPEG-2 rendering from the Vegas templates, and the only thing I've changed is the frame rate so it's the original video frame rate (23.976p).

Should I re-render the video for the four combined tracks and make each 2mbps (to equal 8 in the multi-angle title), or can they stay at constant 8mbps? Or should I just choose the "DVD Architect Widescreen NTSC" template?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:04:07 pm

Miguel,
you need to export your single streams as MPEG2-files. each one could have 8Mbit, you don´t need to divide the target-bitrate 8MBit by the numbers of your streams.

I do not know DVD Architect, but the best thing for authoring in general is to provide allready encoded assets to the authoring-application.

the most important thing for your multi-angle-feature besides bitrate is to use closed GOP and the same structure for all streams, otherwise you wont be able to create a multi-angle. if you could set sceen-detection within your encoding-programm - turn it OFF.

I don´t know if vegas could create/export valid streams for multi-angle DVDs, because of the special GOP-option which is needed.

otherwise you should export to AVI or MOV and use a 3rd party transcoding-application like Episode or Squeeze.

if your source is 23.98fps it will be transcoded to 29.98NDF NTSC with 3:2 pulldown, so to use 23.98fps is OK.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Miguel Almanza
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:08:19 pm

[Daniel Ludwig] "you need to export your single streams as MPEG2-files. each one could have 8Mbit, you don´t need to divide the target-bitrate 8MBit by the numbers of your streams."
They ARE MPEG-2 files, all in 8Mbps constant bit rate.

I don't know what GOPs are and where I could find that in the templates I use in VEGAS. Which template do you think I could use, if you're aware?

What software do YOU use for DVD authoring, if not Architect, if you don't mind recommending it or want to?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:38:46 pm

Miguel,
I don´t know which template you can use for the export out of vegas, as I don´t use it. I´m a mac-user and the most easy way is to export your viedeo as self contained AVI or MOV. and then afterwards use a 3rd party encoder that could encode closed GOP and constant bitrates.

TMPEnc would be a good choice I guess.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Miguel Almanza
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:46:59 pm

It is not working.

Still, I should not have to render differently. These tracks aren't supposed to be different. I should be able to see the same quality on the same tracks without having to render with all those settings. I think... isn't that fair?

ps. You didn't answer what DVD authoring software you used. :)

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:58:11 pm

oh sorry,
forgot to tell - I´m using DVD Studio Pro from Apple on MAC-computers. best choice besides Sonic/Rovi scenarist SD.

I´ve got a demo-version from vegas over here, I could have a look in the next days, so I might be able to answer your question according to vegas-output/export.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Daniel Prantl
on Mar 23, 2014 at 4:56:54 pm

Hello,

I don't know wether this issue has already been resolved, but since I am working a lot with the multi-angle feature of DVD Architect pro in an education project, I thought I could be helpful here:

DVD Architect pro's multi-angle-workflow is alittle bit different than with other dvd authoring software like DVDSP or similar. In some ways, much easier, but with this also prone to more problems on the image-quality side. Footage you import into a multi-angle DVDAP-Project is _always_ re-rendered, thus making sure that all the settings pointed out above (closed and equal-length-gops, footage of the exactly same length) are right. (Maybe this is because DVDAP also supports the mixed-angle and not only the multi-angle DVD specification which allows you to make only parts of a DVD title in multi-angle, thus saving space on a DVD).
In compliance with the manual and sony support, this re-rendering of footage cannot be disabled. The negative side-effects of this re-rendering is, as you have noted, first, a much longer DVD preparation time and second a sincere loss in quality, especially if the footage is already compressed when it is imported in DVDAP. Because of this, sony recommends rendering the corresponding footage as AVI with the PAL/NTSC-DV profile from Vegas. As I found out that this still leads to quite high quality loss, I came to the following solution: Rendering the footage to PAL-/NTSC-DV in PROGRESSIVE and NOT INTERLACED resulted in a much better quality of the resulting DVDs. (Even better quality can be achieved by rendering to uncompresed AVI in progressive (29p or 25p), but the resulting files are very big (~120 GB/hour)).

So I would like to recommend you rendering your angles as DV-AVI in 29p or 25p and then importing them to DVDAP. Besides, for improving quality, you can also set the bitrate in which the DVD angles should be recorded in the "optimize disk"-dialogue - they can be set much higher than pointed out in an above posting. (I am working with 4-5 Mbps producing very compatible DVDs). I found out that using dual layer-DVDs for multi-angle also helps here.

The bad thing, of course, is that DVDAP always re-renders the files. But as far as I researched, it is still the only windows DVD authoring software (that is somehow affordable) that can produce multi-angle DVDs that work without any problems. Or am I wrong?

Regards,

Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]