FORUMS: list search recent posts

Createspace DVD authoring guidelines don't make sense?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine Tosko
Createspace DVD authoring guidelines don't make sense?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:06:51 am

Confused by Amazon's Createspace guidelines - My movie is HD, and they want a TS file. So I'm in iDVD, burning off the video and audio TS files. But my movie is not PAL or NTSC as such. I tried making a PAL version of the timeline in FCP (I'm using 7) but it did not look good. What should I do? Accept that my TS file will be good to go? They really don't give any advice anywhere and I've now read horror stories of discs being rejected for bizarre reasons. I don't really want to submit either PAL not NTSC, or do I? Help! I should say the original movie is 47GB, 1280 x 720. It's a feature. I've screened it using a DVD copy I burned to NTSC and PAL from iDVD using my original movie and that worked fine, so I know it's working correctly and all is set right. Just seems weird to ask me to set this to either/or. Can I just send it? I'm thinking I can...I mean, if I can burn a DVD surely Amazon can?

You can read their guidelines here: https://www.createspace.com/Products/DVD/Index.jsp#content4

It's just really unclear and I am thinking I've missed something. Or they have, and I can send it.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Createspace DVD authoring guidelines don't make sense?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:00:53 pm

They basically just want an NTSC DVD from you. DVD is only pal or NTSC so there's no question there.

You need to set your bitrates at an optimal level so you don't spike over the cieling set by the spec....this is around 9mb/s

How long is your piece? With that info you get get a bitrate calculator to determine what's best. Use Ac3 audio as well since it doesn't take up so much bandwidth as PCM.

Personally I think you should hire someone who knows DVD and encoding since this will go out to be sold. That's just my opinion....I wouldn't do lighting or camera work myself since that's not my experience....same in your situation.

Return to posts index

Catherine Tosko
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:13:02 pm

Yeah the thing is they don't want a DVD. I have now gone back and created an NTSC timeline and re-exported it. They want PCM but I'm ignoring it! Let's see... I wish I had budget for post. I don't :( Thanks!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:36:27 pm

Yes they do want a DVD.....that's what a TS file is. They also recommend Ac3 audio as well :)

Just make a DVD like you would for yourself to play at home and send it to them

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:45:36 pm

Hi Catherine,

I read the specs at the link you provided and they definitely want a DVD with AC3 audio. Your HD content will be SD widescreen on the DVD. It does seem like you will want outside help with this or you may have bigger issues later. Not a Mac user, so can't really explain the best workflow, but there are tricks to improve quality of the HD > SD conversion, search this site or use Google.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]