FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray/ DVD burning

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Koti Ravi
Blu-ray/ DVD burning
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:14:43 pm

Hi There,

My name is Koti. I am a Wedding Videographer. I shoot with the Sony PMW-200 and I edit using Final Cut Pro 7. After my edits, I convet the Video into Quick Time Movie. My setting are HD 1920X1080 60i. The Video is almost 2 hours of footage and then I convert using Toast Titanium 11 and my blu-ray burner is Lacie. My question is that when I burn blu-ray's and when I play the Blu-ray Disc into the blu-ray player, some places of the video are pausing. I played the Blu-ray disc into 2 different blu-ray players but I get the same problem. Can you please tell me how to resolve my pausing problem when i playback.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Blu-ray/ DVD burning
on Dec 7, 2013 at 10:14:14 pm

Koti, it occurs to me that possibly the size of this particular file is too large for the BD. I also use Toast 11 for my BD's and also my BD burner is the Lacie. I'm also using a very similar camera as you, mine is the Sony EX 1 which is replaced by the PMW 200. I convert my camera footage into the ProRes 422 HQ codec which gives smaller file sizes yet maintains great picture quality, maybe that's your problem.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Koti Ravi
on Dec 7, 2013 at 11:23:54 pm

Thanks
My Sony PMW 200 Settings 1920 x 1080 60i

Return to posts index

Koti Ravi
on Dec 7, 2013 at 11:28:46 pm

Sorry
My camera setting now 1920 x 1080 60i
I will try with ProRes 422 HQ codec .
I will let you know.
Thanks
Koti.R

Return to posts index

Koti Ravi
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:25:23 am

Sorry
My camera setting now 1920 x 1080 60i
I will try with ProRes 422 HQ codec .
I will let you know.
Thanks
Koti.R

Return to posts index

Koti Ravi
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:27:33 am

Hi

ProRes 422 HQ codec setting Can I change in the Camera or Final cut pro?.
Thanks
Koti.R

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 8, 2013 at 3:15:50 am

[Michael Slowe] "I convert my camera footage into the ProRes 422 HQ codec which gives smaller file sizes yet maintains great picture quality, maybe that's your problem."

Michael, no offence intended, converting to ProRes 422 HQ is giving you smaller file sizes? - I don't think so. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:26:33 am

Gary, no offence taken, but ProRes is compressed and compared to the codec I used to edit in, Media 100 HD, the file sizes are smaller. At least that's what shows up when I go to Info and analyse the file. I use it for that reason, less space taken up on the drives. I'm not a technical guy though so you may be better informed than me.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 8, 2013 at 9:09:54 pm
Last Edited By Gary Milligan on Dec 8, 2013 at 9:24:57 pm

Michael - I assumed you were comparing the ProRes to your original camera files, not the Media 100 HD codec. ProRes is an excellent codec and probably the best for editing in FCP and other Mac based NLEs (including Media 100) that struggle or just don't work with the more compressed files that most cameras use. I've found that a lot of people (noobies) are somewhat shocked when they first realize converting from something like H.264 camera originals to ProRes actually balloons their file sizes 4-5 times larger. You should also be aware that using ProRes HQ vs. just plain ProRes is probably overkill for you. The difference in picture quality is not at all apparent (unless you do a lot of heavy effects processing or are working in 2K or 4K) but the difference in file sizes is fairly significant. I've read many of your posts on the COW over the years and I think the type of videos you produce doesn't really warrant using ProRes HQ - but of course it's your call.

Up until a year ago I had been using Media 100 as my only editing tool (since 1995) and switched from the Media 100 HD codec to ProRes when I bought the FCP Suite 6 or 7 years ago mainly due to some of the tools it included (Compressor, Soundtrack, and DVDSP). To this day I've never done a project using FCP as an editing tool. I'm now using Adobe CC and so far have been quite happy with it. I made the switch because I became uneasy with the silence from Boris FX regarding Media 100 development. That and being able to edit footage in its native codec not only saves the time it takes to start editing, it also saves on storage requirements. Transcoding only comes into play when it's time to export from the timeline. However, Media 100 is a very under-rated tool and probably the very easiest to learn which I think is one of its greatest strengths. Too bad it failed on the marketing side.

Koti - apologies for straying from your original question. When you play the QuickTime file does it play smoothly? Does the Blu-ray disc pause in the same place all the time? What are your Bit Rate settings in Toast?

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:55:27 pm

Gary, your post is very interesting (although I share the blame for us going way off the original question).

I was at fault in misunderstanding the nature of my camera files from the EX 1. I never handle them as they get converted on import to my edit system, Media 100. I appreciate that using HQ might be going over the top but I have loads of storage so I thought I'd try for the better picture quality. Your summary of Media 100 is spot on but It's the simplicity that I love and it will see me out, even if they do nothing new at all.

Koti, the gist of my suggestion was that maybe your files were too large for the discs.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 7, 2013 at 11:03:47 pm

[Koti Ravi] "The Video is almost 2 hours of footage and then I convert using Toast Titanium 11 and my blu-ray burner is Lacie."

In Toast, what are your transcode settings? (MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AVC) I know it will take time but maybe you should try transcoding with different settings. What type of discs are you using?

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Koti Ravi
on Dec 7, 2013 at 11:26:35 pm

Thanks!!!!!
MY setting is MPEG-4 AVC
Also I used All brand BLU-RAY's.
Some thing

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 8, 2013 at 3:20:04 am

[Koti Ravi] "Also I used All brand BLU-RAY's."

I've never heard of All brand Blu-ray discs… do you mean you've tried several different brands and get the same results?

Gary

Return to posts index

Koti Ravi
on Dec 8, 2013 at 5:01:25 am

Yes!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:06:17 am

Just a comment... make sure you tested with at least one brand of BD-R that uses HTL media technology. Quite a few commercially produced BD players have a problem with the cheaper LTH format (uses organic dyes like many DVDs, versus the copper/silicon formulation originally used in Blu-ray).

Another thing... double check that the media encoder going to AVC knows its producing a Blu-ray, and sticks to Blu-ray compatible bitrates. It would be unusual for an encoding to not follow those rules in a Blu-ray oriented tool chain, but that is one of the things that can cause a Blu-ray player to pause/lock-up.

Another option.. ensure you have the latest version of your encoder, and/or try a different AVC encoder for the Blu-ray. Could be there's some kind of bug that's media/encoder dependent. Just one of those things I've seen in the past. Don't know about Mac support for this, but if you're using GPU acceleration in your encoding, try switching that off to see if that changes your performance.

Do your Blu-ray tools have a BD emulator? Some tools do, and these often check for potential problems in a way your BD player can't.

As for the BD player, are you testing on multiple players, all with up-to-date firmware? If not, it's worth doing.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]