FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL to NTSC DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tore Jonssen
PAL to NTSC DVD
on Dec 4, 2013 at 1:10:10 pm

Hi folks!
I have a PAL DVD authored in DVD SP with almost two hours of concert footage that is also to be delivered in NTSC format. Any smart ways to do this? How about problems with audio sync etc?
Still have the high resolution source footage, menus etc., that are all made for a PAL release.
Could I just use Adobe Media Encoder to make new mpeg-2 files, or will it not handle the frame rate conversion that well? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tore Jonssen

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
Re: PAL to NTSC DVD
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:07:54 pm

The visually perfect way to do this would be to simply play back every frame at a faster speed (a conversion using Cinema Tools would do this), but motion would be too fast, and the songs would sound like The Chipmunks!
I've done successful frame rate conversions from NTSC down to PAL and to 24fps using After Effects - if you have that, you can set up a 29.97fps composition and import the 25fps footage. There are a number of different "blending mode" options in the Layer menu which will deal with adding in the extra fields/frames from the PAL to the NTSC standard. It's worth trying it with an extract first to see how well your settings work.
Though I've sometimes just used QuickTime Pro 7 to export to DV at the new frame rate and got away with it. Though you'd expect obvious jumps in any smooth motion this way, particularly with scrolling credits.
"Standards Conversion" is the thing to look for online.
Good luck.

Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:21:01 pm
Last Edited By Andreas Gumm on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:42:45 pm

If the footage is progressive,
follow my way:

1. encode the 25p footage at 720x480@25p!!!!
2. use the DGpulldown tool from Donald Graft & apply the specific pulldown
3. use the new flagged file as your NTSC elementary stream!

You will not get any speed change!

Great method, it works with progressive formats (23.98, 24 & 25p) only!

Andreas

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Tore Jonssen
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:23:46 pm

Thanks Andreas!
The footage is not progressive initially, but would it work to render all material to for instance ProRes (progressive) and then follow your method on these files?

Regards,
Tore Jonssen

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:39:54 pm
Last Edited By Paddy Uglow on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:49:47 pm

I'd make it progressive as the last stage - standards conversion techniques can do clever things like blending the fields (not frames - PAL has 2 interlaced fields for each frame) together, which should give you a smoother result.

Actually, if you're authoring DVDs, you should probably leave it as interlaced NTSC.

Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:05:03 pm
Last Edited By Andreas Gumm on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:06:02 pm

Deinterlaced footage doesn't look good ususally.
Blended fields are not really what you want! ;)
But you should test to determine what works for you.

Not sure if your NLE supports this but you could try this,
1. create a 29.97i timeline & place the 25i clip
2. you should be able to define if the clip should match the target frame rate either by "blending" or by "nearest neighbourhood" method.
3. use "frame/field blending" & export a clip
4. use "nearest neighbourhood" & export a second clip

Compare both clips!

If you are not happy with the result try if the deinterlaced footage does work with my previously mentioned method.
It's not easy to find an ideal method.

Andreas

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Tore Jonssen
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:21:17 pm

Thanks for the input.
I´ve used Cinema Tools on several occasions before, but being that this is a concert video with such massive amounts of video, I am not sure this is the way to go for this particular project.
I do have a CC subscription, and will try out your tips using After Effects for the conversion.
Any other tips are highly welcome!

Regards,
Tore Jonssen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]