FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD burners for dual-layer DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kumorek
DVD burners for dual-layer DVD
on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:31:33 pm

I've been working on my first dual-layer DVD project and have learned that one of the bigger challenges in producing dual-layer DVD discs is getting DVDs burned that will actually play. I have five burners available -- three Blue-ray, and two DVD. Using the exact same ISO image, all will burn a disc and have it verify successfully. However, only one will create a disc that set-top DVD or Blu-ray players will actually recognize and play.

Yes, the image is fine and valid -- we've had it replicated without an issue. But there definitely seems to be challenges in getting DVD+r DL discs to burn and play.

I'm using Verbatim media, and like I said, all the burns produce discs that also verify successfully after the burn process is complete.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd like to acquire a second external burner that I can expect to burn discs that will play in DVD and Blu-ray players - does anyone have any recommendations for something that's Windows compatible and had good results in burning DVD+R DL video discs, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD burners for dual-layer DVD
on Nov 19, 2013 at 6:18:53 pm

We have used Pioneer burners on PC and Mac since the dawn of DVD production and never had a problem with any of them (except worn-out from hard use).

If the problem happens only on dual-layer DVD+R discs, chances are the laser in the burner is weak. The inner layer in these discs is difficult to write and read due to the lower reflectivity of recordable media.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]