FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about color space on DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Question about color space on DVDs
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:38:48 am

Hi, folks.
I've never done television work, but I do understand there are broadcast color limitations, particularly for whites and blacks. When I shoot weddings for final output to DVD, I am wondering about the color space when editing. Do I need to take the same precautions regarding minimum (black) and maximum (white).
I've read specs suggesting blacks should not go below 14 and whites should not go above 244 (I may have the exact figures incorrect).
Here's my question put another way:
If my final output is to DVD, do I need to bring down the whites and bring up the blacks, if I want to ensure a quality image? Or, does this not matter for DVD?
Thanks so much for your help.
Vic

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Question about color space on DVDs
on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:57:44 am

Vic,
TV-colorspace is different to web/gfx.

while web+print is working within RGB or CMYK - TV is working within YUV-colorspace (which is a part of the RGB-colorspace)

you need to work within RGB-value 16-235. but full color tend to be max 230 on the single color-chanel.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:36:19 pm

Thanks very much, Daniel. The reason I ask is because, though my video looks good up until I output the .mov file, when I go to the last stage of DVD creation, the quality drops off significantly. I realize conversion to mpeg-2 is a big step, but I was wondering if color space could be a main factor.
What I am seeing in going from .mov to DVD is that the image tends to look very "contrasty" and/or washed out. I've never worried about color space before, and only recently have begun to wonder about its impact on final image quality. It sounds like (from what you've said) that I definitely should aim to keep my blacks and whites within RGB 16 - 235. Do I have that correct?
Again, thanks so much for your help.
Vic

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 2, 2013 at 12:28:35 pm

Oh dear Vic, not wishing to put a 'spanner in the works', but I had similar difficulties with ProRes 42 HQ material but, following advice, went to 0-255 colour space and the subsequent DVD's and BD's look fantastic. This may however be illegal for broadcast, I'm not technically qualified to comment on that, all I do is use my eyes.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Nov 2, 2013 at 2:27:29 pm

Thanks for your input, Michael. I have never altered the color space settings in my projects, and am new to the whole idea. As I mentioned, I've not done any broadcast work as of yet. I would like to see improvement in my final DVDs, though. It seems that, right up until I take that last step of burning a DVD, my videos look great. But, much is lost in going to DVD. I'm guessing the conversion to mpeg2 is the culprit. Bear in mind, my original footage is shot with either a Canon Vixia (HFM400) or a DSLR (Canon T3i). So, the color space I'm starting out with is not great. And, then there's the codec of the AVCHD format.
FYI: I truly don't see much difference between the Vixia cameras and the T3i, in terms of quality. I have the same issue with the final DVD image quality using video from both these cameras.
As for my next attempt at improving the quality, I believe I will go ahead and give the color space adjustment a shot. I find my DVD image to be rather contrasty, so an adjustment in color space seems warranted.
Anyways, thanks again for your input.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 4, 2013 at 3:43:42 pm

Hi Vic,

I think the most obvious point that has not come up is that you're likely converting HD to SD and that is why you're not happy with the DVD quality.

I've never touched the color space on a project and have to go with Michael, leave it alone.

Not a Mac user, but have read plenty of posts suggesting various workflows for the best downconversion quality. For instance - http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/55/867199

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:15:07 am

and back to topic:

about the colorspace again - using 0-255 will mostly result in bad flickering graphics on tube-TV, in that reason it´s not broadcast-save and allowed.

indeed most people have flat-TVs (TFT, LCD, LED or plasma) now, but the reference is still an interlaced tube-TV or broadast-reference-monitor where you need to check your DVD.

by the way: IF you have TO sharp gfx it will result in flicker as well. in that reason high quality gfx needs to bee blured a bit.

TV-broadcast-gfx could not be handled like internet, computer-gfx or print-gfx.

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]