FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kumorek
DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:30:57 am

I'm having a problem with an authoring project, and as most of the posts on the specific topic are almost a decade old and not helpful, thought I'd try a new post.

I've authored a dual-layer DVD in Adobe Encore CS6. I build the project into an ISO image successfully, and burn it to a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc at 2.4x speed using Nero with verification turned on. The burn and verification is successful.

When I insert the disc into my Blu-ray player or my DVD player, it spins for a while, and then gives up and says there's no disc. However, if I put the disc in a computer and bring up VLC Media Player, VLC can access and play it just fine.

I've successfully burned simple (timeline only) DVD+R DL projects and never had a problem playing them.

I understand about Layer 1 needing to be larger than layer 0; when I create a DDP output fileset, layer 1 is 3.52 GB; Layer 2 is 3.51 GB. I've read that according to the DVD specification, "the lower layer (Layer 0) needs to be as close to 4.1 GB as possible". As there's no ability to adjust what goes on what layer in Adobe Encore, this doesn't seem to be adjustable.

It's worth mentioning that this project was originally a Blu-ray project, which now that the Blu-ray part is done, I've made a copy of the project and converted it to DVD. I've re-rendered all video and audio media in the project to DVD sized media, so no transcoding is taking place. The menu PSD files I've left at 1920x1080, and Encore is converting the to DVD size just fine.

Any suggestions on what to look at or try?

Thanks for any assistance!

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:27:45 pm

James,

If your DVD does not play in a settop player, put the DVD disc in a computer and check that the file/folder structure on the DVD is correct. At the root you should see a VIDEO_TS folder and there may or may not be an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

Check the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. You should find an .ifo file, a .bup file, and one or more .vob files. If you see any other structure, the DVD player will not recognize the disc as a valid DVD.

It's easy to make an invalid DVD file structure when authoring in one program and burning in another. I always burn using the authoring program unless there is a compelling reason to use another workflow.

On dual-layer DVDs, Layer 0 must contain more data than Layer 1 by DVD Spec.(There is no Layer 2.) Layer 0 does not need to contain any specific amount of data.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
Re: DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:52:28 pm

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the advice!

I discovered what the issue was last night. I was burning the DVD+R DL media with my Blu-ray burner, which burned correctly and verified successfully. However, the DL media wasn't being recognized by the players. When I burned the exact same ISO image with a DVD burner instead of a Blu-ray burner, it worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]