FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video length for best quality in iDVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Video length for best quality in iDVD?
on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:05:58 pm

Hi, folks!
I have a wedding to burn onto DVD. It's about 58 minutes in length. My understanding is that I should use the "Best Performance" setting for a video of this length (for good image quality).
If I go with the "Best Quality" setting (supposedly good for up to 120 minutes), will I lose quality?
(I'm wondering about space on the DVD for the menu. Since the video is 58 minutes long, should I shorten the video, or just use the lesser quality setting in iDVD?)
Thanks so much for your help.
Vic

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Video length for best quality in iDVD?
on Oct 5, 2013 at 1:47:33 pm

Here is a very good calculator for determining the best encode settings for DVD.

http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Creative Cloud
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:58:06 pm

Thanks, Steve. It's a little bit confusing, the calculator. Are these settings I'd use when using DVD Studio Pro? Thanks, Vic

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 8, 2013 at 3:48:36 pm

Hi Vic,

Not a Mac user so not sure if iDVD allows you to tweak the encode settings at all, or if you MUST use one of the presets. But if you go with the 120 minute preset, you will definitely hurt the quality, as the video will be compressed at half the data rate! You'll end up with a DVD that is half empty.

You can "fill" a DVD with 60 minutes of footage, or 90 or 120 or 180. It's a matter of setting the best encoding rate that will allow the source material to fit within the disc capacity. The longer the program, the lower the data rate (quality). As Steve said, you can determine optimum settings with a bitrate calculator app.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:00:27 pm

Thanks very much, Jeff. Just wondering...
I have a highlights version of the wedding, which runs about 14 minutes. When I burned it to DVD using the "Professional" quality setting, it appears that only half (or, perhaps, even just one-third) of the space on the DVD was used. Is there a way to use ALL the space on the DVD, thereby getting better quality video?
Thanks again.
Vic

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:24:44 pm

Hi Vic,

There is a maximum date rate for the DVD spec, something like 9.4 or 9.6 including audio. The generally accepted maximum video encode rate is 8, which will allow for up to 60 minutes or so. Anything shorter will therefore leave space on the DVD, no way to use it all with short programs. The 14-minute video will be encoded at the "best" possible quality, or max data rate.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Oct 8, 2013 at 11:27:34 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Good to know for future DVDs!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]