FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD duplication problem - can anyone figure this out?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Felder
DVD duplication problem - can anyone figure this out?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:57:22 pm

I have a 1:3 standalone duplication tower with an ACARD controller, Samsung DVD-Rom SD-606 and 3 Pioneer 106D drives. Firmware in the controller is dated 2003.

Client gave me a 3.8 GB disk to copy. The duplicator would stop copying and flash "Error" after copying about 10% of the disk. We tried ripping it to an ISO, then making a new DVD from that ISO, but it wouldn't copy.

Original disk played fine in DVD player, laptop, desktop and PS/3, so issue would appear to be the duplicator, right?

Client said the disk was made in FCP 7 + Compressor, exporting as an IMG file, which they then renamed to an ISO file to make their master. The client is an eLearning company that has experience in making DVD's. I assume (?) they know what they're doing, although I've never used of authoring a DVD in FCP.

I then copied 3 different titles for 3 different clients in the tower and all copied fine. Programs were about 1GB each, authored in Encore CS5.5

My editor made a DVD at home using iDisk and it wouldn't copy. He ripped it to an ISO on our edit system, then burned that ISO to a blank DVD, which would then copy fine.

It looks like MAC created DVDs don't want to copy on my duplication tower. However, I had a MAC G5 with FCP Studio and have made many DVDs in DVD Studio Pro with no issues. I never output as an ISO, I always used MPEG2 & AC3 via compressor from FCP.

Since the client was so sure their disc was okay, and since my tower was 10 years old, I just bought a new tower. It's a 1:5 Tower with a BEST BD106 controller.

The new tower copies the client's disc with no problem. The problem's solved, but I have no idea why it occurred.

Can anyone guess why the old Tower can't copy these discs, but the new tower can? Isn't this just a matter of copying 1's and 0's from a source disk to a destination disk? And why only on this one particular disk? An issue with how it was mastered?

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave an opinion....

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD duplication problem - can anyone figure this out?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:18:09 pm

When you open the disc on your desk top do you see the VIDEO_TS folder?

Nothing is perfect though.....Sometimes info get corrupt. Did you have them deliver another disc to find out?

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
Re: DVD duplication problem - can anyone figure this out?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:53:21 pm

Yes, the DVD has the correct file structure. The client provided 3 masters over a week's time.

It's an issue in the old duplicator tower - I guess the firmware in the drive or controller. The duplicator works fine, this is the first problem we ever had with it, and other discs copied since then copy fine too. Strange.

Ryan Video Productions Inc. Rockaway, NJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]