FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best DVD Encoding Software

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Polster
Best DVD Encoding Software
on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:47:49 am

Hello,

I am an Edius user as well as a Mastering Works 5 user for my encoding. I shoot in HD but have to deliver on DVD a lot.

My Blu-ray output is looking very nice with good detail and color. I export a Canopus Lossless AVI to make the BD and DVD from.

When it comes to DVD, I always think the image is just o.k., but not great. When I see a major release DVD it seems to have a lot more detail than my DVDs.

So I wonder how much I can improve upon my DVD image?

Does anybody have a suggestion of an encoding program that will give better results than Mastering Works 5 for PC?

I know this is kind of open ended but this HD to SD thing is something that we all have to deal with that will never go away!

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

David Rehm
Re: Best DVD Encoding Software
on Jul 8, 2013 at 3:25:28 am

hello, I don't use either of the two programs you mentioned but I'm sure you're having the same problem Premiere and FCP users are having and that's getting a clean standard DVD from HD.

These two articles will give you the answers and results you need.
http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2010/10/hd-to-sd-dvd-cs5-revisited/

The process will look and seem intimidating but once you do it a time or two it's really not bad. It will save you lots of time.

Hope it helps,
David

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 8, 2013 at 3:04:04 pm

I'm using the "HD2SD" methods with excellent results on dance recitals and plays averaging 2.5 hours. Starting with 1080i footage, able to produce a 4.7GB DVD that looks great on a 50" plasma via upconverting player.

Once you get all the parts installed and do it a few times, it becomes old hat. From Premiere, Export HD video to a Lagarith .avi file (YV12 color). Then that gets converted to an SD .avi using the HD2SD script in VirtualDub. The .m2v file for DVD is created by running the SD .avi through the HC Encoder, a very fast and high-quality MPEG-2 encoder. Then author with Encore.

Jeff Pulera
Digital Vision

Return to posts index

Amadou Coulibaly
on Jul 17, 2013 at 9:59:26 pm

Why can't you make an SD directly from Premiere?

Also, what do you mean by "Then that gets converted to an SD .avi using the HD2SD script in VirtualDub." Could you be very specific and tell me exactly where to click? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:43:32 pm

The complete instructions for this method are well beyond the scope of what I can post here. Please Google "HD2SD" and you will find various tutorials on what software is needed, where to get it, how to use it. It does take some research and effort, it is not a simple task, but you may find the results worthwhile.

There is no reason you can't use the tools in Adobe Media Encoder and Encore to create your DVD. Just some editors are looking for the next level of quality, it is a personal decision to try it.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:25:33 am

Tim, there are so many different workflows available it can be very confusing. You already have different answers, all successful for the people concerned. For what it's worth mine, which gives me great DVD's and even better BD's, is as follows:

Shooting on Sony EX 1 in 1920 X 1080i, editing in ProRes 422 HQ. Export to QT .mov in ProRes, drag file into BitVice for encoding. BitVice does a really first class downscale to SD before encoding. I do a two pass encode at a VBR 7.25 average (depending on the length of the production). Then the m2v and the ac3 files go into Studio Pro for mixing etc and finally I burn the img file to disc in Titanium Toast 11 Pro. Great DVD's, seen them in a cinema, still great.

For BD's I just use Toast for the encode and burn on a stand alone Lacie burner.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:18:00 pm

Bitvice sounds like a really cool program to have. Even though it's almost $200. I would probably get it if they had a Windows version.

David

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:19:49 am

Jeff's workflow is completely free! :)

HC encoder is one of the best IMO

Return to posts index

Tim Polster
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:05:09 pm

Thanks for your replies. Yes, there are a lot of choices. I will check out HC Encoder.

I will also download some trials of the higher end encoders like Cinemacraft, Promedia Carbon and Sony's DO Encoder if they have them. A large test is needed and if I can get enough programs I will post the results.

Return to posts index

Amadou Coulibaly
on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:52:01 am

HC Encoder Can only use .avs and .d2v files for encoding. I am on PC and have no idea what those formats are. So unless there is something I don't know, I would say the HC Encoder is totally unusable.

Roxio Titanium Toast only works on MAC. So here again, I can't use it.

Finally, I have no idea what a HD2SD script is and how to use that with VirtualDub. It makes no sense at all.

CONCLUSION: Unless I'm missing something, there is not one piece of USUABLE advice in this thread to help someone make a better DVD.

I also use ENCORE and ANTHORING WORKS 5. Neithert has yielded the type of quality I am looking for. Is there a way to improve the quality by using another software program which a normal person can understand? Thank you.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 6, 2013 at 5:59:30 am

[Amadou Coulibaly] "HC Encoder Can only use .avs and .d2v files for encoding. I am on PC and have no idea what those formats are. So unless there is something I don't know, I would say the HC Encoder is totally unusable."

Then if you dont know what you're talking about, why are you making such comments like:

[Amadou Coulibaly] "CONCLUSION: Unless I'm missing something, there is not one piece of USUABLE advice in this thread to help someone make a better DVD. "

Return to posts index

Tenchi Muyo
on Dec 22, 2014 at 12:24:57 pm
Last Edited By Tenchi Muyo on Dec 22, 2014 at 12:33:33 pm

I'am testing different software too:

i want to render my 1080p AVCHD clips to MPEG2 for DVD.

What i can say,
with TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 i will get the best DVD quality.

I tested Mainconcept TotalCode Studio 3.2.1,
with max quality 9.800kbit

TMPGEnc 9.200kbit looks still much better.

Videos checked on a Sony 65" 4K TV.

Is there any other Software on the market which can have better results?

I'am very suprised that TotalCodeStudio NOT able to beat TMPGEnc (for DVD),
another thing i noticed - TCS runs not very stable,
i'am importing 36 AVCHD clips total 10gb and it crashes near 4gb total videos.

Its still crashing when i remove the videoclip, then it will crash on the next following clip.

I contacted the support so we will see whats the problem is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]