FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL to NTSC questions

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gor baghdas
PAL to NTSC questions
on Jun 23, 2013 at 7:19:46 am

Hi,

we have a film edited from footage shot on canon dslr-s, Pal, 24fps. We need to burn an NTSC dvd from that, trying to loose as little quality as possible. The way I usually burn Pal dvd-s is - I export it with prores from FCP, than I convert it in Compressor for DVD, and then burn it in DVD studio pro.
What I'd like to know is, at what stage I need to convert the film to NTSC to loose less quality - shall I export it from FCP with ntsc settings, or is it better to export as it is (meaning Pal), and then convert it to ntsc in compressor when compressing it for dvd?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: PAL to NTSC questions
on Jun 23, 2013 at 6:18:14 pm

Just encode for NTSC a progressive mpeg for DVD and author an NTSC disc

Return to posts index

gor baghdas
on Jun 24, 2013 at 5:56:18 am

thanks. so shall i just export it pal prores from final cut pro, and then encode it to ntsc mpeg for dvd in compressor?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 24, 2013 at 7:44:31 am

Gor,
if your source is PAL, you need to do a format-coversion to NTSC prior encoding to NTSC mpeg2.

there are several ways to do this conversion.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 25, 2013 at 5:10:10 pm

If its already 24p does it need any conversion? I would think encoding 24p for an NTSC disc would be good

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 25, 2013 at 8:02:21 pm

as eric mentioned,
24p is the right way, but straight 24p couldnĀ“t be used, you need to use 23.976 instead. this will be transfered/transcoded into 29.98 NDF with the necessary pulldown within the encoder.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]