FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make a software demonstration DVD ?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorcan Mulligan
Make a software demonstration DVD ?
on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:30:47 pm

Hi Guys, I Have to make a software demonstration DVD, how should I approach it. I was thinking one way to approach it was to use Microsoft Expression or Camtasia , to capture the software demonstration what is on my pc, next the video that created by Camtasia or Microsoft Expression import it into DVD editing software and put it together with subtitle and voice over. What do people think of this approach or could you suggest any other approach ? Any responses appreciated....

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Make a software demonstration DVD ?
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:52:21 pm

Been using Camtasia Studio for years, and it's worked extremely well. Once you've gotten used to it, the workflow is nice. Not very familiar with Expression. Adobe Captivate is another product, although the price difference between Camtasia Studio and Captivate is staggering - around $600.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * CS6.x Creative Cloud
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:20:31 pm

Here's the problem with making a software training/demo DVD - computer display resolution is typically at least 1024x768, but that is with the older 4:3 display and most newer setups are pushing HD resolution.

DVD is 720x480, so whatever you "grab" from the computer screen is going to be scaled down substantially. Then there is the issue of MPEG-2 compression, and NTSC color. Basically, small text that was crisp and sharp on the computer screen turns into unreadable mush on a DVD video.

I'm writing from experience - I put together a training tutorial using Camtasia, but distributed as a DVD and got a lot of complaints about the quality. I then re-did the training with Camtasia again, but used the Camtasia menu maker system and created a stand-alone training file that runs on any PC and uses .wmv files for the video.

Result? When viewed, it is as crisp and sharp as the original, and a 3.5 hour training takes up only 600mb, so is easily distributed as a download. Could also be burned to a CD (as data), thumb drive, web view, whatever. Might want to rethink the DVD thing. Imagine the cost savings of a download versus manufacturing, packaging, shipping discs.

Camtasia does include editing software, but I found it limiting to my needs, so I did the editing in Premiere, then sent results back to Camtasia to build the menu/playback system there. I should mention that I did my video a few years ago and Camtasia is now a few versions ahead and the editing app had surely improved, so check out the free trial, I believe they still offer 30 days without watermark.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:54:52 pm

If you are distributing your media to be played mainly on computers, then DVD is certainly NOT the way to go. Definitely author with typical computer screen resolutions in mind. Also, Camtasia's zooming capabilities alleviate most problems associated with small text readability.

And yes, they still offer a free 30 day unlimited trial.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * CS6.x Creative Cloud
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Lorcan Mulligan
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:25:19 pm

Thanks Guys, the lap top interface is HD, but the problem is most people will be viewing this on a DVD...I will be using Sony Vegas...is there anyway I can keep text clear and visible that camtasis has captured

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:27:07 pm

As I said, Camtasia will zoom into an area of focus, therefore enlarging pertinent text, and keeping it very legible. They call it SmartFocus.

Here's a tutorial that explains it while demonstrating it.

http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-camtasia-8-06-apply-smartfocus-zoom-pan.h...

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]