FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98 NTSC DVD for International Distribution

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hedouin
23.98 NTSC DVD for International Distribution
on Jun 14, 2013 at 11:34:16 pm

Hello, this is my first forum posting on the site and I'd very much appreciate any and all help I can get. I've read in a few places in the forums that when authoring a DVD, region incompatibilities can be avoided by creating an NTSC disc at 23.98 fps; that this will allow the discs to play worldwide. If this is true, would it be possible to get details on how best to author a 23.98 NTSC DVD with Encore?

I'll be editing 1080p content in FCP, and can arrange for it to be shot at 23.98fps so as to avoid needing to transcode. What kind of pulldown will be necessary? What format/container will be best to export my content as from FCP? Is there anything else I need to bear in mind when creating the disc? A step-by-step breakdown would be immensely appreciated.

Lastly, is it possible to author a disc without a menu? The DVD will only contain a single video file. Can a disc be made whose content will just be played immediately in any player?

Again, thanks so much in advance for any help, this seems like a very supportive community!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: 23.98 NTSC DVD for International Distribution
on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:30:45 am

David,
if you choose a NTSC 23.98-setting in compressor it will create a 29.98 NDF SD NTSC MPEG2 for DVD. the necessary pulldown will be implemented automatically.

DVD allways is only 25 or 29.98fps, there is no 23.98 or 24fps within the specs.

if you are planing to do an international distribution that´s a real easy way for you.

export your 1080p23.98 as selfcontained quicktime-mov using apple pro res or pro res HQ, then use the settings within compressor.

be awared of pulsing artefacts when using 2-pass VBR within compressor - could happen.

and finally yes, a DVD could have a video/audio-track as firstplay-option, so you wont reach any menu. could be easily created usig compressor as well - for more complicated DVD I would suggest to use DVD Studio Pro.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

David Hedouin
Re: 23.98 NTSC DVD for International Distribution
on Jun 30, 2013 at 9:09:39 pm

Thanks very much Danny, that's exactly the information I needed. I will return with another question if I run into any problems. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]