FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning longer DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Nacovitch
Burning longer DVD
on May 25, 2013 at 9:13:14 pm

I have a timeline thats 2 hours 22 minutes. Am trying to burn it onto 1 SL dvd from DVD architect. It says there is not enough room. I understand there is something about changing the bitrate. I'm using MPEG-2 and AC-3 Pro templates. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Burning longer DVD
on May 27, 2013 at 8:35:17 pm

What does the manual say about lowering the bitrate? It's pretty much as simple as that...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 28, 2013 at 4:14:52 pm

Hi Mark,

As Noah stated, gotta change the bitrate. I use Adobe, so can't tell you where in Architect to do this, consult manual. I just encoded a 140-minute video last night and used 3.9, with Dolby audio at 192.

There are many bitrate calculators online, just Google, or use 560/minutes=bitrate. I usually round down for safety margin/menu overhead, for example 560/142=3.94 so 3.9 ought to do it for you. If using motion menus, which take more space, then perhaps 3.8 setting.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark Nacovitch
on May 28, 2013 at 5:17:59 pm

Jeff, I ended up having to use a DL DVD. Does that change anything for calculating the bitrate since the disc holds more?
Thank you,
Mark

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 28, 2013 at 5:24:56 pm

Hi Mark,

Using a dual-layer DVD, you can of course increase the bitrate to utilize the extra space available. I checked a calculator and it says 7.4 for a "DVD-9" disc with 142 minutes of video.

CBR 7.0 will look great and will leave extra room for menus

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on May 29, 2013 at 2:54:40 pm

However your DL disc may not play in some players. Some players just do not like the dual layer discs. Good luck!

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:44:06 pm

Thought I would add that I happened to complete a program the same length as yours over the weekend, 2 hours 21 minutes. I encoded at 3.9 (2-Pass VBR) using the "HD2SD" method (Google it) and it looks fantastic! Burned to a single-layer 4.7GB disc. Started with 1080i source, encoded as MPEG-2 DVD progressive 16:9.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark Nacovitch
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:21:39 pm

Jeff, I recorded in DV. 720x480. Would that matter?
Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:52:09 pm

It's actually better to start with DV footage, then you are not downconverting. Then no need for HD2SD, just use good encoder with 2-pass VBR. Encoder results do vary and also depends on content. Lots of motion, detail? Noisy/grainy? Many factors affect encoding, but depending on video footage it IS possible to go beyond two hours and still have a decent looking DVD. I do it often, never a complaint from viewers.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]