FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bitvice, Soundconverter & Toast - Problems

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Hinger
Bitvice, Soundconverter & Toast - Problems
on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:33:05 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to DVD authoring and am having trouble using this software combination. I can successfully make a DVD if I get Toast to do the encode and authoring. But bitvice has a great rep for quality and I was hoping to have a bit more control over the process and learn some techy stuff on the way.

I've cut a five minute promo in 1080p PAL using Avid MC on a Mac Pro running 10.7.3

This is what's happened:

My first export was a QT reference, but for some reason the export showed the XDCAM rushes as black, although titles and still and audio did show up.

Next I exported a QT in animation codec (18gb!) and encoded in bitvice. I encoded the audio using SoundConverter. When I dragged the two files into Toast, the duration of the audio file was correct, but the video clip was 45 seconds short, even though everything was there from beginning to end. After authoring in Toast, the picture quality was really nice but the audio was way out of sync.

I tried the same process again ticking 'Use QT frame count' in Bitvice, and the result was similar.

Next I tried exporting the video in Apple Intermediate codec. This time audio and video were in sync, but the DVD plays back too fast, looks like about 1.5x normal speed with the talent's voices higher pitched.

So what am I doing wrong here? Is this a codec issue?

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: Bitvice, Soundconverter & Toast - Problems
on Apr 11, 2013 at 4:41:20 am

[Toby Hinger] "I encoded the audio using SoundConverter."

Why not use the audio encoding offered by BitVice? There are a number of options available (look in the Preferences settings).

[Toby Hinger] "Next I tried exporting the video in Apple Intermediate codec. "

Apple Intermediate codec is not a good choice - an old codec. The Animation codec is a good choice for your purposes. It's lossless so your results will be as good as your source, but yes, the file size is something you have to deal with.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Toby Hinger
on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:19:58 am

Thanks Gary,

I did use the bitvice audio encode the first time, but it didn't create an ac3 file which I believe is needed to create the DVD. I think it created an aif. Perhaps I should have tried with the aif?

I'm using the demo version of bitvice btw, so not sure if I'm missing some functionality.

Do you think SoundConverter is the cause of my authoring problems?

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Apr 11, 2013 at 5:31:32 pm

[Toby Hinger] "I'm using the demo version of bitvice btw, so not sure if I'm missing some functionality."

That could very well be the case. Did you look at the Preferences settings? That's where you should find audio output settings.

[Toby Hinger] "Do you think SoundConverter is the cause of my authoring problems?"

I'm not at all familiar with Soundconverter so I can't say one way or the other.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Toby Hinger
on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:55:48 am

Ok, I tried again and this time the ac3 exported out of bitvice.

However I still have a problem with the pictures.my duration in avid is 5:04. After bitvice, it's only 4:25.

So I'm confident it's not the audio. I can't fathom what I'm doing wrong here.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Apr 11, 2013 at 10:27:45 pm

XDCAM source brought into Avid using AMA will not export to a QT reference file. You have to transcode the XDCAM footage to an Avid codec or export a normal QT file.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:13:10 pm

Toby, I'm coming into this late I'm afraid but, as I have a successful workflow from XDCAM media, I just want to ask you why you don't export to QT .mov in the ProRes 422 HQ codec. I do this and just drag the file into BitVice and take it from there. I'm a fan of BitVice but have found that the new Mac OS (Mountain Lion 10.8.2) makes it necessary to designate different drives (destinations) for the m2v and ac3 files.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Toby Hinger
on Apr 21, 2013 at 1:16:34 am

Hi Michael,

Better late than never. I downloaded the Apple codec pack (I didn't have prores), and followed your suggestion and it worked!

Thank you so much. Not sure why the other codecs didn't work, but happy with the result.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]