FORUMS: list search recent posts

BitVice & OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Slowe
BitVice & OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
on Mar 2, 2013 at 3:37:00 pm

Anyone found this problem? I've been encoding DVD's in BitVice with brilliant results for some years. Just updated my OS to 10.8.2 and now find that BitVice is not giving me my ac3 audio file as previously, just the m2v. I checked the QT .mov and the audio is there OK. Seems like a conflict with the new OS, the BitVice version is 2.9.7. This is a real pain, I don't want to have to revert to OS 10.6.7 but I need the BitVice, it is so much better than the other encoders in this price range.

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
Re: BitVice & OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:27:03 am

Michael,

I'm sorry to say I have found exactly the same thing with 10.8.2. With the previous 10.8.1 it seemed to come and go (audio not encoded though the log says so). I haven't had time to try this lately, but sometimes it used to work and encode video and audio both when the destination was a different drive from the source. It is indeed very frustrating and the developers of BitVice don't seem to be in a position at the moment to do any sort of updates. There are hints that they may re-emerge sometime soon, and I hope so but there is no way of knowing. What I have been doing sometimes is to use BitVice for the video and another encoder to make the ac3, but mostly lately I just use Adobe Media Encoder, which has been pretty satisfactory.

Hope this helps,
best,
Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:19:23 pm

Michael, you're a genius! I designated a different external drive for the ac3 file and it worked! Whether it goes on working only time will tell, I'm a bit worried because you found that it came and went but certainly I was OK with my test.

On the subject of BitVice, I have been speaking to the owner and creator at Innobits, Roger Andersson in Sweden and he was looking for all sorts of complicated engineering reasons for the conflict with Mountain Lion. I'll tell him about your solution. He was a bit vague about upgrades for BitVice. It is so good that as far as I'm concerned I'm happy where it is currently.

Thanks again for your huge help.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on Mar 4, 2013 at 7:31:36 pm

Glad it helped!!!
Send me an email at michael@freelunchmedia.com and let's take this forward....

best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Jack Swart
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:27:04 am

I am using Bitvice too. Version 2.9.8.

I found if you set the prefs to output AC3 and WAV and AIFF at the same time, all three are created. Delete the unwanted files and you are back in the game.

Jack

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:32:19 pm

Thanks Jack, I see that in the Prefs and might adopt that if I meet trouble in the future. For now I seem to be getting my m2v and ac3 files OK provided I follow Michael Hanish's advice and send them to different drives. Why did you go to 2.9.8, is it any different from 2.9.7?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jack Swart
on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:59:52 pm

I upgraded only to try to fix this no AC3 file problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]