FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for a good Blu Ray Burner? (Couldn't find appropriate forum)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack wormell
Recommendations for a good Blu Ray Burner? (Couldn't find appropriate forum)
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:56:32 pm

Hi All

Sorry, this is actually Blu-Ray related but I couldn't find an appropriate forum, I'd be really thankful if someone could give me some advice.

At work we're looking to buy an external Blu-Ray player to plug in to our HPxw8400 PC to use with Avid DVD.

There seem to be lots on the market, all with good reviews. Which one should I go for? We've found a couple around the £100 - £150 mark with USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connections (by LG and Panasonic), both BUS powered.

We think that if it's powered by BUS it might be a little less stable, and we'd rather get a power supply powered one.

Also, are there any Firewire connected ones, and is USB 2.0 really unbelievably slow to burn Blu Rays?

Thank you kindly

Jack

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Recommendations for a good Blu Ray Burner? (Couldn't find appropriate forum)
on Jan 31, 2013 at 7:58:32 am

i went for an LG but an internally connected one. didnt want external. are you ona pc or a locked down mac.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

jack wormell
Re: Recommendations for a good Blu Ray Burner? (Couldn't find appropriate forum)
on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:49:41 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. We're on a PC here at work - an HP XW8400 workstation - I'm assuming an internal one is a bit faster?

Jack

Return to posts index

jack wormell
on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:19:21 am

Has anyone had any experience with an Asus BW-12D1S-U? It looks good to me but the system requirements denote:

an NVIDIA® GeForce 7600, we only have a NVIDIA QuadroFX 1500

and a Intel Pentium® D 945(3.4GHz) or higher, we have an Intel Xeon @ 3.00GHz.

Are these specific requirements just for BluRay playback or are they for burning as well?

Thanks for all the help

Jack

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 15, 2013 at 7:07:44 am

Jack, I won`t go into the finest points but I will help you with a few basics. For burning, if you need to, a "CPU" that has somewhat less speed than a playback one`s should still prove successful and satisfying. Recording takes more speed than playback. Editing and rendering should have plenty more. It`s a good idea to burn data not player- bootable discs during stages of your creation, but some people use hard drives, tapes, or other swappable storage for this. Get new high- grade burners like Pioneers, which are duplicator grade and convenience!, not ASUSes for your outfitting, (LGs would be OK), and a good selection of different types of blank discs. If you`ve ever done regular photograpy, you start by picking up a highest quality negative and aim at making your best prints out of it before you grab your already made negatives and full resources, and aim at this center from both creative and finished ends as well. In video it can be the same. Don`t try to get best results out of poor originals as a first step. This is to fly through the overcast blind. You will of course need terrific software. Final process, not data- style software is always more involved. I use some versions of Puppy Linux to comparatively monitor and guide the capabilities of my stages of production and playback software. You`ll still have to explore how to use Puppy, and use an editing- speed computer to use it though, even on playback. Be ready to both produce and market your programming too; burning it is only a single stage or two in the workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]