FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is lower write speed always better when creating DVD's? Can it get too low?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Andersen
Is lower write speed always better when creating DVD's? Can it get too low?
on Jan 13, 2013 at 1:51:42 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if it is generally recommended to use low write speeds like 2x when creating a DVD for the best results? I have Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 16x 4.7GB DVD's, but I was wondering if it's best to use something like 2x write - I am only putting on 250 MB so time is not really an issue for me.

What do you think? :)

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Is lower write speed always better when creating DVD's? Can it get too low?
on Jan 13, 2013 at 6:06:15 pm

Some people recommend writing at the slowest speed but in 15 years, I've never come across an issue in writing at faster speeds

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 14, 2013 at 3:33:00 pm

I duplicate hundreds of DVDs every year for various events and always burn full-speed, with zero playback reports from customers. Using top-quality media of course, such as Taiyo Yuden (JVC now).

Why would companies make DVD burners at 12x and 16x speeds if the discs you burned would not play back reliably? Think about it.

Jeff

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jan 19, 2013 at 7:39:53 am

Then what are the speed ratings on discs for? Just because a burner is rated a particular speed doesn't necessarily mean one could reliably burn (for ex:) a 4x or 8x dvd at 16+x speeds. I believe a burner's speed rating merely means what it's capable of. No?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 21, 2013 at 2:34:54 pm

I wasn't suggesting to burn a disc at more than it's rated speed. In fact, I think the hardware/software is intelligent in that area and would only burn an 8x disc at 8x and no faster anyway.

But if you have 16x media and burn at 16x, the resulting DVD should play reliably. And that has proven to be true for me over the years without fail.

To each his/her own, throttle back the burn speeds if it makes you sleep better ;-)

Jeff

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:15:42 am

The burn speed along with higher bitrates on burned media has become urban myth for several years now

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:24:06 am

Sorry Jeff. I guess I misread :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]