FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will it cause problems if I add a file to an iso (when playing the DVD on a standalone DVD player)?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Andersen
Will it cause problems if I add a file to an iso (when playing the DVD on a standalone DVD player)?
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:17:18 pm

Hello,

I have been wondering if it could cause any potential problems in terms of playback on a standalone DVD player if I open an iso (created from Encore) with an iso editing software in order to add an extra video file with the HD version of the content on the disc? So that this file could be watched if the DVD is played on a PC.

It is very important that it can play properly on a variety of standalone DVD player too, as it contains my showreel which I am sending out for job applications (to those that do want a DVD) - but I thought it would be a shame not to include the highest quality in case it's going to be viewed from a PC (it's actually not specified how the DVD needs to be made). I could also have 2 DVD's, but I think that will get more confusing.

I hope someone can help, thanks :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Will it cause problems if I add a file to an iso (when playing the DVD on a standalone DVD player)?
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:11:07 pm

Hi Tobias,

If you still have the original DVD project in Encore, just go to the BUILD step again, and find the part that says "DVD-ROM Content" and ADD your extra files there. Easy. But I'm assuming you no longer have the original stuff, and that is why you want to modify the .iso? Then read on.

An .iso is basically a snapshot, or image, of a completed disc. From the .iso, one can make EXACT copies to more discs. An .iso is more than just the data on the disc - it actually contains the "formatting" to create a properly formatted disc, whether CD Audio, DVD video, or DATA.

As you may know, DVDs contain a VIDEO_TS folder. If you simply burn that folder to a blank DVD as "data", the DVD will NOT play in a DVD player! In your burning software, you must select "DVD Video" as the disc type before burning. Basically, not enough to just burn the content to the disc, but rather the content must be "laid out" in a certain order on the disc, and perhaps even flags or some indicator set on the disc to signify "this is a DVD VIDEO disc, not data", so that DVD players recognize it properly. The burning software takes care of this for you.

So the point I am getting to is that if you have an .iso image of a DVD, and then start modifying that .iso, you could break the structure of the DVD so that it doesn't work right.

Here's what I would do. Burn the .iso to a DVD, then COPY the VIDEO_TS folder from DVD to your hard drive. In Encore, under BUILD, you can choose to burn a disc from "DVD Volume", so you would be able to point it to the VIDEO_TS folder on your drive to get the original DVD content. In the BUILD window, scroll down to "Disc Info" and you will find a place to add "DVD-ROM Content". Browse to find the folder you wish to add. Now burn a new DISC or IMAGE (.iso).

This way, you will be creating a completely NEW DVD or .iso file that will have no problems. Your original DVD content is unmodified, but you have added the additional content you wanted.

Hope this does it for you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
Re: Will it cause problems if I add a file to an iso (when playing the DVD on a standalone DVD player)?
on Jan 7, 2013 at 10:06:35 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply :) It was very helpful.

I do have the original project, but I wasn't aware that I could do it in Encore directly.

I added the files and made an iso which I burned with ImgBurn - it seems to work perfectly now.

Do you think there are any risk of 'confusing' some standalone DVD players by having some extra files in there? Or will these files always be completely ignored?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 7, 2013 at 2:58:20 pm

Hi Tobias,

The truth is, I have never added additional files to a DVD myself. However, as it seems to be a common practice, and since Encore has that functionality built right in, I would say you should be very safe using it. As mentioned earlier, a DVD Video disc must be formatted a certain way for the DVD player to recognize it properly. As long as that is the case, and you have the VIDEO_TS folder in place, I believe any other folders are of no consequence to the player.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:33:01 pm

Sounds good :)

I do have one minor issue though with my DVD which I just tested on my TV. Perhaps you can help me out with that too :)

The problem is that my source footage is 24p (1920*1080), but I have been making a 25p MPEG2-DVD PAL Widescreen export (25 fps seems to be the only option when exporting) - so I used frame blending to smooth out the result (it was choppy on my PC without it).

This gives a bit too much motion blur though, so I was wondering how I could do the export in a different way so I don't have to use frame blending?

Is there a way to speed up the entire sequence I have (both video and audio) so that it plays at 25 fps instead of 24 fps?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 7, 2013 at 5:04:22 pm

Hi Tobias,

I work with NTSC, so have never had to convert to PAL formats, nor do I have any way of testing this either, sorry. I just did a bunch of web searches and could not find anything specific to the Adobe workflow. Found same Apple and Avid workflows involving speed changes and conforming. Hopefully someone who has done this can assist

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:45:42 am

Okay, thanks for your help :) I tried to make a new sequence with a framerate of 25, and then I copied everything over to this and went to 'interpret footage' and set them to 25 fps too.

This caused a mess in my timeline though (many small holes inserted), so I had to do a lot of small adjustments - but the export does seem smooth now without frame interpolation.

It's not a worthwhile solution though as it's too much work I would need to do again if I need to do some other changes to my project - but I think it will work for this time :)

Another option could be to just use NTSC instead - haven't all DVD players for a long time been able to handle both NTSC and PAL?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]