FORUMS: list search recent posts

FPC 7 > Compressor? > idvd having so many problems :(

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris zacchia
FPC 7 > Compressor? > idvd having so many problems :(
on Dec 24, 2012 at 1:03:10 am

Hi,

I'm trying to burn a dvd using idvd but I'm encountering problems and every solution i try fails :(

I've exported quicktime movie self-contained (12 gb) and brought it straight to idvd and got purple dots on my image.
i used compressor to create a prores 422 format (60Gb) and idvd tells me unsupported file type.
i used compressor to create a 1080p (10Gb) video sharing version, and idvd tells me unsupported file type.
i used compressor to create a 720p (3.9 gb) video sharing version, and idvd accepts it but the file is corrupt.
I really don't know why idvd isn't letting me use these file types???

I've tried a couple other things as well but all with no luck. If someone could help it would be much appreciated. Here are some details about the project.

So i have a 1 hr documentary in FCP7 (it's composed of many different file formats as we used archive footage and shots from different cameras, some nice HD which is what my FCP is set to.

The goal is to get to DVD in as high quality as possible.

I have FCP7, Compressor 4, idvd
I need to make a menu as well as have chapter markers on the video.

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: FPC 7 > Compressor? > idvd having so many problems :(
on Dec 24, 2012 at 4:23:41 am

DVDs are always and only SD, if you are in NTSC you need to downconvert to 720x480 and if you are coming from a HD timeline make it 16:9 aspect ratio. Never let iDVD or DVDSP do your downconverting. You should export this SD with ProRes as the codec if you are bring it into iDVD. (Or AIC). If you have an interlace timeline in FCP you need to keep the downconversion as upper field first.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 24, 2012 at 10:37:46 am

Chris,
iDVD could not use previously encoded assets. you must iDVD let do the enoding-job, it will create MPEG2 video and PCM audio.

as Michael stated, it´s allways better do do a downscale prior encoding for a better encoding-result.

there´s also a known bug within iDVD - if you do not have squared pixel 16:9-aspec-ratio within your video it wont be encoded as 16:9, so you might need to change the quicktime-properties of the movie.

and according your green artefacts - I´ve only know thinks like that if the video is H264/M4V.

and - be awared as Michael also described: 1080i has upper field first, while NTSC SD has lower field first ( PAL has upper + lower depending on your codecs), so you might get problems with the encoding through iDVD.

happy xmas

danny

Return to posts index

chris zacchia
on Dec 26, 2012 at 10:27:02 pm

I've tried these methods but idvd doesn't seem to let me use files that are bigger then 4.x Gb. Could there be an option or something in idvd that is preventing me from using larger files?
I get a message saying that my file is to big to fit onto a DVD (my length has remained constant at 1 hr)
thanks guys, and merry xmas :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]