FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Pro 4 laying down cc track - "closed caption data does not fall within video time code range."

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karin Muller
DVD Pro 4 laying down cc track - "closed caption data does not fall within video time code range."
on Dec 23, 2012 at 11:12:37 pm

Thank you in advance for your help! I don't know what I would do without the people who are so generous with their time and expertise on Creative Cow.

I'm creating a DVD of a PBS series that will be premiering shortly. The caption house sent me .scc files that they had supposedly built according to my specs - timecode starting at 1:00:00:00 and ending at just over 1:55:00:00. I offset the DVD Pro timeline so that it started at 1:00:00:00, but it still gives me the error that the cc data does not fall within the video time code range. I tried resetting the time line at zero. I tried laying down three hours of video just to see if the timecode on the scc file fell between zero and three hours. Still out of range. I have no way to open the .scc file that I know of so I am just guessing at what the problem might be. Am I doing something simple wrong in DVD Pro 4?

- the .scc files won't import - they read as color correct files - but I can go into the other tab under inspector and point to them. DVD pro does recognize them this way. They are roll-up files. Laid down on line 21.

Thank you again!

Karin Muller

Karin Muller

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Pro 4 laying down cc track - "closed caption data does not fall within video time code range."
on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:00:21 am

The CC timecode needs to match the TC of the file not the timeline.

Return to posts index

Karin Muller
Re: DVD Pro 4 laying down cc track - "closed caption data does not fall within video time code range."
on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:18:32 am

Thank you, Michael! I figured that out shortly after I posted by setting the timeline to start at 10 hours and realizing that it made no difference. Timeline and video clip both now start at 00:00:00:00.

If I drop the hour-long episode onto my timeline three times and then lay down the cc file, it's within limits. when I cut the last half hour off, it still works. The moment I take the third hour off (they are all the same clip) then it tells me the cc time code is out of limits. This makes no sense to me.

Any suggestions? We're going to premiere nationwide in less than three weeks so I'm very worried...

Thank you again!

Karin

Karin Muller

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 24, 2012 at 3:35:49 am

We are you dropping the same movie into a single timeline 3x, that makes no sense. Not mess with "editing" of any sort within DVD when you are adding CC or subtitles.

- Mike

Return to posts index

Karin Muller
on Dec 24, 2012 at 3:46:28 am

Would you be willing to use my email address: karin@karinmuller.com or would you rather keep the thread posted? I appreciate your help either way.

I originally thought the timecode issue was DVD Pro timeline based and so I figured if I put several hours of video on the timeline and then gradually cut them back, I would find out where the cc file timecode started and ended. That method didn't work and the results aren't even logical. I'm afraid the cc timecode start may be at 1:00:00:00. My video clip, which I exported from Final Cut Pro, seems to start at zero (even though the sequence I exported it from started at 1:00:00:00). Is there any way to change the start point of a video clip once it is imported into DVD Pro? I noticed that when I changed the timeline to asset-based and then started it at 1 hour, the clip appeared to start at 1 hour as well - but I still got the same error message.

I'm utterly baffled.

Thank you, Mike. And on the eve of the holidays, no less!

Karin

Karin Muller

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 24, 2012 at 4:18:28 am

FCP exports video with the TC of the clip, if you In point is on 1:00:00;00 then your clip will be. Then in DVDSP you have to use asset based.

You should be able to open your scc file in text edit (open a duplicate copy), you will be able to see your CC's timecode. The text is just alpha-numberic code.

What did the CC company view to make the CC file?

If you just drop in the video and attach the scc file, burn a disc or just build the video TS folder. Open one of these up in the software DVD Player and turn on CC. Is it working?

I'm going to be hit and miss soon so it would be better to keep this on line.

Return to posts index

Karin Muller
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:52:58 am

I exported two HDV one-hour video clips from FCP as QT files.
(Time code on both clips started at 01:00:00:00)
I then compressed them using Apple Pro Res and compressor.
I imported them into DVD Pro 4 and created a menu with two tracks, one for each clip.
I compiled and burned the DVD and tested it on four players. It works perfectly.
When the scc files arrived from the caption house, I moved them onto my Mac. They get read by default as color correction files. They do not import into DVD Pro 4 (error reads wrong file format) but when I point to them using the "other" tab on each track, they are recognized.
I opened them using text edit (thank you, Mike!) and they start at 1:00:00:00 and go to 1:55:00:00, as they are supposed to.
I then build the DVD. It almost immediately kicks me out with the error message about data not falling within time code range.
I've tried changing the start time on the time line, added more video, etc. Only once did it allow the compile to finish. When I played the resulting DVD I got closed caption starting at 62 minutes. I could not come up with a rational explanation for that number, since none of the clips were that long or added up to that length.

I know this is supposed to be easy but I've tried over 100 builds with various iterations and I cannot figure out why I am getting that error. The exported video clips should start at 1 hour, the cc files start at 1 hour, and I have even tried setting up the timeline to start at 1 hour...

Thank you! Merry Christmas, everyone!

Karin

Karin Muller

Return to posts index

Karin Muller
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:57:29 am

Update: When I look at my video clips in Quicktime, it says that they start at 00:00:00:00. It's possible that the compression settting I was using reset the original time code.

Could the problem be that the video clips goes from zero to 55 minutes and the time code goes from 1 hour to 1 hr. 55 minutes? If so, can I fix this in DVD Pro (reset the time code on the video clip?) and if not, how to I keep the original time code settings when I export and compress the FCP clip? Can I go into the text version of the closed caption file and just change all the time code manually?

Thank you!
Karin

Karin Muller

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]