FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Video to DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
linda walker
HD Video to DVD
on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:26:43 pm

Our company has been asked to provide a quote for a 2 hour (finished) training video for a client. We are rather new to HD production and would like to know how much HD video can you get onto one 4.7GB DVD? This client also wants an interactive DVD menu.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
Re: HD Video to DVD
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:49:39 pm

The arithemetic

4.7*1000*8/(2*60*60)=5.22

implies that a 4.7GB DVD can hold 2 hours of video at about 5kbps. This is comparable to bitrates used to deliver mp4 format HD video over the internet, but, significantly lower than the bitrates used for bluray disks.

If the training video will be played back in a PC, I would suggest doing the menu as an html page and encoding the video clips as 720p24 mp4 files using a bitrate of about 5kbps.

If the training video will be played on a standalone bluray player and if you are lucky, then you can simply burn a 4.7GB bluray image to DVD and the bluray player will play it. However, keep in mind that some bluray players will not play HD video from DVD media. Use H264 encoded 720p24 m2ts files at 5kbps to squeeze everything on.

Return to posts index

linda walker
on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:57:07 pm

Thanks Eric for your reply. While I haven't confirmed it with my client, I'm pretty sure that the client will want this 2 hour video on separate discs, since most of their clients will be watching the training video on a setup DVD player, not a blueray. As for PC, I doubt that the client will be watching on a PC.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:35:01 pm

there's no way to get HD onto a DVD if you want the end user to playback on set tops.

You can make a AVCHD disc which supports higher bitrates closer to 15mb/s but you won't be getting 2 hrs

Return to posts index

linda walker
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:37:58 pm

I agree, there is no way to get 2 hours of HD video on a DVD.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 19, 2012 at 4:48:51 pm

Hi Linda,

Let's back up a bit, as I think the thread is going off target perhaps. What does your customer require for delivery? 99% of the time it is going to be a standard DVD format. Works in the DVD player in the training rooms, in computers, at home, you name it. You mentioned you are new at HD production, so the usual workflow is to shoot HD, edit HD, but then deliver a DVD, which is standard definition (widescreen), as is compatible with all DVD players so the widest audience can view it.

If you want "HD on DVD", what you really need do to is author to Blu-ray disc, but then it can only be viewed on Blu-ray players, so limiting the audience. Or make some type of custom "multi-media" experience on disc, but that's another story.

There is no problem putting 2 hours of training video on a single DVD, with menus.

If I'm misunderstanding your request, I apologize. If you are the same Linda from WI that is a customer, please call me and I can assist with workflow questions.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

linda walker
on Dec 19, 2012 at 8:43:02 pm

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I am Linda from WI!! I'll give you a call. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]