Region Coding

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Purdie
Region Coding
on Dec 10, 2012 at 8:15:09 pm

Hello

I need some guidance regarding Sony DVD A Studio 5.0

A brief bit of history - before anybody screams at me for being an idiot.
I don't know the slightest thing about DVD Authoring. My client dropped me in at the deep end and I've been struggling since day one.

However, I have managed to put together my DVD. I've burned it, saved it as an Image and tested it out and it all seems to work fine.
I am UK based.
Now my client (who is based in the USA) wants to know if it is the correct Region to play in the states, and potentially worldwide (ie, Multi-Region or Region Free)

Simply, I dont know where the hell to look.
I've tried the obvious ideas, but nothing is standing out. I cant find the answer in the manual (again, nothing obviously written as 'Region')
The help function and show me how function are also not providing the answers I need.

I would guess at this stage that if there is nothing written about it and there is no obvious way to change it, then DVD-A doesn't have the functionality to set the Region.
Is this correct?

If not, then how shall I proceed?

I'm very tempted to tell the client to burn a copy and try it himself for all my time he's wasted.
But even though its my time being wasted, the responsibility lands on my head if the DVD Image file gets sent out incorrectly.

My project is NTSC and works fine on my DVD player and PC.
I have burned it to disk - but I've actually sent the Image File via email to the client for duplication.

When setting a region, is this set in the Image File? (ie, when building the DVD)
Or is it set when burning the DVD?

Straight, brutal answers would be greatly appreciated right now.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: gion Coding
on Dec 10, 2012 at 9:29:59 pm

Never used DVDA but a quick google search says to look in the properties. By default it should be set to ALL REGIONS.

Return to posts index

Chris Purdie
Region Coding
on Dec 10, 2012 at 11:44:52 pm

Hi there Eric, and thanks for responding.

I've tried that and there is nothing in the preferences tab about Regions.
There also appears to be nothing as an option when I start a new project and still nothing when I'm about to save the project as an image file.
I also can't find anything related in the user manual or 'show me how' function.

I might not know much about DVD Authoring, but I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be so difficult to find.

Like I said, the project appears to be fine, but my client has put doubt in my mind at the 11th hour and I just want a few other opinions on how I should proceed before handing it over to him.

Thanks all the same for looking into it - any other suggestions? I'm totally stumped.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: gion Coding
on Dec 11, 2012 at 1:42:59 am

You'll be fine. In fact region code aren't even honored on burned media.....only replicated discs.

EDIT: Your Studio version doesn't do regions anyway....that only in the Pro version. All discs will always be region free

Return to posts index

Chris Purdie
Region Coding
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:17:55 am

That's what I suspected - it's just unnerving when you're asked a question and you have no way of accurately answering it, haha.

As it turns out, my client burned the disk and I actually sent him the PAL version anyway, which didn't work on his stateside DVD players. That certainly backs up what you're saying.
I'll send my client the NTSC copy tonight and fingers crossed it will work fine.

Thanks for taking the time to engage with this - if there are any further issues I'll message back, but I'm confident I wont have to.

All the best.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Region Coding
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:51:09 am

As long as its an NTSC disc, you'll be fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]